Aluminum Wiring Fix

lol…I prefer to simply consider myself INSANE…the wife agrees

Exactly my point. Why would you want to spend YOUR MONEY to test their product?
I always hear the old saw that people resisted GFCIs 30 years ago too and I say they should have. That product sucked and it was very expensive. If the manufacturers would upgrade their old product with the new and improved for free there might be some incentive to be their lab rat but the reality is they are just like Bill Gates. They dump an untested product on the market at a premium price and expect us to test it at our expense. When they shake the bugs out I will buy one. That includes electrical devices, operating systems or cars.
The 'bleeding edge" is just for people who like to bleed.

lol…skeptic are ya…lololol

In the end, it’s business.

I’m happy to sell and install whatever people are compelled to buy.

FKNA !

I had an early 88 Bonneville SSE with the Bosch ABS that overheated in traffic and failed completely (no brakes at all) and the variable ratio steering had a charming habit of locking up tight when it was cold, no steering. (both introduced in that model year). GM ignored that problem totally until a couple years later when there was a silent recall. If you stayed on their butt long enough and wrote enough letters they fixed it for free. Otherwise the brake fix was $1600 and the steering fix was a grand.

I guess I don’t need to talk about running version 1.0 of anything from Redmond Washington.

As for my skepticism on the AFCIs, the answer is very simple. What recourse is there for those people who jumped out, or more correctly were pushed out there by NFPA and bought the version 1.0 AFCI that does a better job of detecting the presence of a ceiling fan than an arc? Is there going to be any free upgrade for them?
At least Square D will replace their “inert” AFCIs if you ask but there is no active program to go find them and the labor question was still pretty shaky, last I heard.
How much of an allowance do you get for replacing a recalled SqD AFCI? Does it really cover the service call? Are you trying to identify where you might have sold one?

Isn’t that how Tony Soprano’s “protection business” works?

I have no idea what you’re talking about, but we’re talking about legal business.

Even something that “sorta works” is an enhancement over the alternative.

When powerful trade groups write the laws the “legality” of the business is in question.

BTW I gave you an example of something that “sorta works”, intermittant steering and brakes. That is not better.

If they are selling the illusion of arc fault protection when it does not detect the kind of arc we care about it is a scam. It takes a very special parallel arc that will not trip the breaker and the version 1.0 AFCI didn’t even see all of them, only the ones behind the wall. It did not guarantee it would find that pinched lamp cord behind the bed and that was the original justification for the “bedroom” AFCI. That was what the “combination” AFCI was going to find (Combination, fixed wiring and attachment cord). How many of those have actually been installed yet? The series one that sees your bad aluminum connection is still in B test, yet Tony “NFPA” Soprano has mandated installing the lesser to downright faulty units for 5 years!
This is nothing but a scam by CH, Siemens and SqD to use your money, your home and your family to test their product.

As far as bringing things up to current NEC requirements, it depends on which version of the NEC, and the interpretation of the AHJ.

For instance, here in NY, new construction requires no AFCI protection for bedroom circuits. NY is on an older version of the NEC. This is where inspectors need to be careful when referring to “code” requirments, or bringing things “up to code”.

Safety fella…Safety…the HI’s who use “UP TO CODE” are always asking for trouble…:slight_smile:

Go???
I though that you were already there!!! lol :mrgreen:

Probably not a complete re-wire but maybe this as an option:

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/516.pdf

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml03/03120.html

I include both links in an inspection report where AL branch wiring is present.

lol…Mike…I hear ya…the NEC makes it happen as it burns the brain cells…:slight_smile:

Does anyone know who manufactured “Ameriflex” and is it AL wiring? The home I inspected two days ago had a conductor in the attic that I could not phyisically get to for a closer examination.
Thanks, Peter

When I read the CPSC articles I always wonder how much AMP/Tyco paid for that bribe … opps, “lobbying effort”.
CPSC is a political organization not a nationally recognized testing lab.
These are the same people who brought us the 1974 “seatbelt interlock” that prevented your car from starting

The CPSC, helped me get my furnace replaced by informing the manufacturer of their responsiblities.

So not a political organization.

tom

From CPSC.GOV

Sounds pretty “political” to me.