Amish Built is Best

I inspected a home today that was built by the Amish in 2004. Everyone is always impressed with the work they do.

Today was not one of them:

• No roof sheathing installed under metal roof
  • Rafters were only nailed at the top and were twisting
  • Metal straps used to hold the rafters to the attic flooring

It looked like they were building a pole shed not a house, maybe I am wrong but this does not look right. They even used 1/4" panels for the exterior wall under the siding.

That doesn’t look too structurally sound.
Normally a ridge board is used down the center to nail the rafters to.
Definitely CYA on this one.

So thats where all the pallets went !:roll:

That’s what I thought too:shock:

Sheathing isn’t needed under a metal roof, only some nailers.
A ridge board isn’t technically needed either. Done like that for decades.
I may be wrong, but those metal straps probably pull the rafter ties/ceiling joists up at the center and transfer more load to the side walls, much like a truss.
As far as the exterior being clad with 1/4" panels, there are some new houses around my area which are only “sheathed” with rigid foam and some ply at the corners.

That looks like rough sawn oak. I’ll bet it lasts a whole lot longer than most of the junk contractors throw up these days. Sure, it probably doesn’t meet codes, but I doubt the Amish care. They know it will last. :slight_smile:

Wood from an old milk barn or old house they tore down. That’s how they get some of the wood.

Still does not explain what happens when those rafter ends at the ridge areas shift apart finally.

Amish are not the great builders they advertise themselves to be. I think they work cheap, but they are not big on finishes.

YOu should see how the shoe horses. hack hack.

The purlins will keep that from happening.

Cameron is right , sheathing is not required under metal, neither is a ridge board. I see this construction all the time in cottage country in cottages from the forties and fifties. Some cottages have no waterproofing material under the barn metal roofs and some have a layer of feltpaper spanning the spaced plank. Most of them have been up for close to seventy years with annual snow fall of better than 4 feet. They may not be to “code” and despite the often written report comment " structure is consistent with the building practices of the time" I find most of them have fewer defects that will need major repair than the builder stuff put up since the seventies.

If they had put at least 2 nails in each rafter I would not have been so hard on them. They were only nailed at the top and that is why 3/4 of them were twisting.

The Amish here usually do great work but like contractors you have some smarter than others.