AMP (Tyco) Copalum connectors

Bob has a nice picture of a Rigid Metal Conduit with the side blown out. That doesn’t mean rigid threaded pipe sucks as a wiring method. I agree 100% that the 13<sumpin> alloy wire was real easy to screw up when you installed it but if you did it right (and Harry Home Depot didn’t screw with it) it is still working.
The new 88xx alloys and the new devices are probably as safe as copper but 88xx is too hard to bend for most electricians. Up one size and stiffer that copper at the same size) All that aside, f copper gets much higher I bet you start seeing Alcan on TV telling you it is fine. (I saw the road show)
Guys over at Bob’s house are talking about ~$90 rolls of 12-2 Romex … at the contractor price. That is why you had 197x “aluminum” houses.

That is the problem as I see it here in Phoenix. The homes I see AL wire in have been added on to, partially re wired and Harry Home Depot’d to death. I call out needs evaluation by an electrician.
Heck Sparky’s need to eat too.:slight_smile:

If you see “Harry” poking around in aluminum wire, I agree 100% you should have it evaluated but I wouldn’t really go too crazy if this is a clean, stock installation, showing no signs of trouble.
It is also worth reporting to your client, simply because of the perceived loss in value.
I wish saner heads could come together on some sensible recomendations on aluminum. Like I said in response to Joe. These stories are all 30 years old. Where are the fires today and why did they happen?
Homeowners should be aware but they shouldn’t be shivvering in fear.

Thanks Garry, appreciate the link. It was what I was looking for.

I agree in that while single aluminum SHOULD always be listed in the report and recommend it be evaluated by a local electrical contractor…it is important to be tactful in how you explain things to potential buyers…

Many people are hurt each day i am sure from falling down steps…things happen and their are known issues with Aluminum single strand wire…but you need to allow the electrical contractor to inform the buyer of this fact in more detail other than you just letting them know this.

Yes, I believe the home owner or potential buyer should be made aware of it not only for safety but because some insurance companies will not insure a home in this wiring method…seen it many times…

But I believe it should not be stated like a ticking time bomb in your repsonse to the buyer, simply state the facts, that it is present and that it should be evaluated because where the largest problems could happen the HI wont see it…so if you notice it in the panel, and it looks fine and no signs of issues…still refer it because you can’t see at the plugs…an electrician will more than likely do a sampling of the plugs and make other suggestions…

Take the liability off yourself…defer in this situation but again don’t fear the people into SHOCK…be tactful…now if you say…NO…NO…I MUST explain to them " THEY ARE GONNA DIE " you better be able to back it up with more than 30 year old potentials…:slight_smile:

Very well put. That is the kind of approach we use to inform and educate the customer. Often if they are present they see the AL wiring and start to panic, then the Realtor has to put their two cents in. As I stated earlier, present the facts calmly and try to bring some reality into the presentation. One of the most often things I hear is the customer saying “their father, or their uncle” told them if it had AL wiring it was going to burn down while they were all asleep in their beds. We do recommend having the system looked over and signed off on by a licensed Electrician if for no other reason than often the house is already going to require a 4 Point inspection and that is just one step closer to getting one. We always tell them to “get it in writing too” This is a good thread and I am glad the Electricians have had their input on it. Thanks.