Any Willing NJ Mentors Available?

Originally Posted By: rfarruggia
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Wow, Mike what a nice link. Alot of usefull info.

I believe that this link supports my argument.
If single family homes account for just 62% of the living units in NJ in,
and NJAR reports single family home sales only through MLS only (no FSBOs, or other stuff) of 146,000 per yaer (yearly average of the last 9 quarters), 100% of MLS sales (all housing units) would equal 235,500 units. Add in 15% for FSBO, and whatever number you want to guess at for non NJAR agents ( just to be conservaitve, lets say 5% now), and we are still just under 300,000 sales per year.

This above assumes that NJAR and the US Census have the same defintion of "single family" homes.

Add in commercial, listing and re-inspections, and there still is more than enough business out there.

I know that the licensing info is way out of date. It was just a jab directed at the fact the the HIAC website hasn't been updated in so long ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)

Originally Posted By: phinman

So what about the numbers! I want to be a home inspector and that is the end of the story!

No one can stop me from attaining that employment goal!

I did an inspection for a young lawyer who said their profession has too many people. So what!

Let the strong survive!

Why is it this way in New Jersey and no where else? Why should those with the licenses have control over my employment!

This is a free country and if I want to be a home inspector then that opportunity should not be impeded by frivolous and unreasonable laws and people!

A open and free marketplace should apply here as with any other business and the above posts only prove to me again that this whole law has become about power and money. money and power or any other way you want to phrase it!

THE NUMBERS MEAN NOTHING!

If the bad inspectors get weeded out because they can't compete then so be it. There is no argument that is valid when the criteria is the number of available inspections.

Let talent, marketing expertise and the consumer be able to make their own decisions without a gatekeeper telling us all we can't make these decisions for ourselves!

Please no more numbers, they are irrelevant!

Phillip R. Hinman
NJ NACHI

Phillip R. Hinman

I stand corrected on numbers!

The numbers are relevant when they can be controlled and manipulated for someone or some organization's benefit and to the detriment of the consumer!

That is why the law got extended!!!!!!! The numbers!

Again I stand corrected!

Phillip R. Hinman
NJ NACHI

Originally Posted By: Peter Raftopoulos

icon_rolleyes.gif

Folks,

As a student in the Home Inspection mentoring program, I would like to give you some positive feedback. Mentoring has positive results when both the mentor and trainee act as a team with the goal of improving each other. Both can improve by sharing. And working on the team relationship, through communication and sacrifice.

On one hand, the trainee has little or no experience, and needs guidance and leadership. The other, the mentor, may have little or no time (busy with lots of things,) and needs a gopher to carry out some research tasks. So, there can be lots of good in mentoring and training
when the relationship is more like a team.

And, what would even be better, if the trainee can contribute towards the improvement of the mentor, no matter how little it may seem. Hence, the real key is that both work as a team.

I am re-learning these rules everyday. So, please remind me if I start becoming inconsiderate of others. We as humans learn and forget everyday, and re-learn again. So, count me in as a lifetime - trainee.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for your well written accolades for the mentoring process.

I too had an excellent relationship with 2 people with whom I mentored. I have done work for both of the fellows, one of whom is a PE and the other an old builder like myself.

I have been building homes for over 30 years and I had a great time exchanging ideas with both mentors.

I only wish you and I were the norm here in NJ but we are not!

I have Associates License number 9. I have estimated a minimum of 150 people spent the time and money and never pursued their careers as HI's.

I am sure there was the normal amount of drop outs for various reasons but I know that most of those who never acquired their Associates license found getting mentored the biggest obstacle. I have heard from them and been in school with them!

I have quite honestly given up on any type of mentoring program as it is presently set up. If the schools provide the mentoring then those students may enjoy the same experience we have!

Thanks for your contribution to the board!

Phillip R. Hinman
NJ NACHI

Originally Posted By: Peter Raftopoulos

Phillip,

Good enough.

Peter

Peter,

Please email me with your private email address and I will keep you up to date with the next NJNACHI meeting.

Phillip R. Hinman
NJ NACHI