anything wrong with this TPRV

Do you see anything wrong here?

Thanks,

IMG.jpg

IMG.jpg

IMG_3876.JPG

No air gap device, and where does it end up?

PVC is not allowed for use as relief piping, nor is it allowed for distribution within the building.

Also, the termination should be visible, unless this is a mobile/manufactured home.

What is that fitting going in to the TPRV? To many elbows (specially for plastic). Unless that is CPVC (I can’t tell Jeff), it is installed with the wrong material. Home owner can’t see when the valve is blowing off. There are no shut offs at all, should at least isolate heater on the cold side.
Just an aside, wiring needs an electrician (it looks like it is taped into the wall).
Just put down that “Water Heater needs professional assistance”.

Hi Jeff,

Are you assuming it is PVC due to the purple primer used or color of the pipe? If it were CPVC would they have used a different primer? I have some purple primer in my garage and it is acceptable for CPVC use and doesn’t say anything about not for potable water?

I think this may be a good catch Jeff as the rest of the plumbing is CPVC and doesn’t have the purple primer. I may have to revisit before I issue the report.

Yes, this is manufactured housing.

Further input is appreciated.

The pipe color looks too white for CPVC, which usually has a yellowish tint to it.

The markings are visible, but I didn’t zoom in to identify it.

I was wondering about your thoughts on the color, as soon as I read your post and looked at the colors I thought the same thing.

I have tried to zoom in and read, but am unable to, the lettering is too blurry.

I guess I will be going back tomorrow. Better that then finding out the hardway down the road.

Thanks,

Besides the PVC question, and the lack of a water shut-off, you could suggest a drain pan. That way, the discharge pipe could go straight down into the pan, only one elbow.
The electrical supply ought to be protected with flex conduit, although it looks like the tank is usually covered by a wood panel.
Earthquake straps are probably redundant, but we watch for them out here.

I think you have enough other defects to call out to save you a trip back. :wink:

I’m not sure I’d make the return trip either.

Fittings attached to copper flex have orange CPVC glue none of the others do and I’ve not seen CPVC unions where orange glue was not visible, unless compression unions were used.

I’d also question compatability of piping and glues used, I don’t recall where you can join CPVC and PVC together properly without a compression fitting, no glue involved. Not that this set up would be approved.

Enough items have been identified by others that this requires repairs by an electrician and plumber…if they don’t want to do their jobs properly, oh well

jmo

This may help.

http://www.nibco.com/assets/cpvc_manual.pdf Page 6

Marcel :smiley: :slight_smile:

I noticed it was a Manufactured home right away, and in all honesty, almost all the low to mid end homes in my area are installed this way. I saw one installed 2 years ago, using the same TPRV setup. Usually they drill a hole in the floor and drain it into the crawl space. Not espicially desiarable, but considering the chipboard flooring they use, a small drip becomes a structural issue.

This is all too common in a MFG home.

Thanks for all the input.

I felt obligated to report things as they are so I made the trip back out, fortunately I got a call this morning for a Draw inspection that was only 10 minutes away.

The plastic lines are CVPC, I think the flash on the camera whitened the plastic for the photo. CMA, I feel better now and can be confident about my report.

Does the piping run to the exterior? Or does it terminate under the trailer?

It does terminate under the trailer.

Thought so. Wrongo reindeer, needs to be where you can see it. :smiley:

I agree with you here Brian, but The “Feds” allow this for manufactured housing. . .

Makes for one less trailer to replace in a national disaster! T minas 10…9…8…

I did not know that Jeff. :smiley:

It doesn’t make it right, but when the MH is first installed, it is generally done so under HUD standards. Another issue is with the dryer vents. They are also terminated beneath the carriage.

I always recommend routing dryer vents and TPR terminations to the exterior for resale, but I’ve been “schooled” by the local HUD inspectors about making these recommendations on an original installation.

Making recommendations outside of their standards can unnecessarily delay funding.

I have narratives that address MH specifically with explanations of some of the differences between Federal standards and California standards. This is in an effort to avoid the inevitable call from the seller of a home that I inspected on an original installation. There are several items that must come into compliance with CA standards on a resale.