Appears to be mold in attic

What would you recommend to Customer?

I bet there is mold in the backyard as well.

Did you determine if it was installed that way? The rest of the structure look pretty clean from here.

The attic is “Outdoors” from the living space, is it not? What else did you see that says it will migrate to the interior (stack effect is pulling upwards), does it not?

I bet you’re at the top of the attic access. Do you know what happens there all the time? Stack effect air (warm and damp) leaks into the attic through that opening and found a cold framing member right next door.

Would you recommend the leak be addressed, or to mediate the house for mold?

With what you’re providing, I would not recommend anything to the client till you find more information.

2 Likes

David, Thanks for your thoughtful response. This photo was sent to me by a Customer I did an 11 month inspection for, over a year ago. She’s also a friend. I want to be sure to give her good advice.

So, I see this staining on trusses all the time. I say nothing unless it is flowering because it is often old stains prior to install. The photo is inconclusive, so she needs someone to see it on site.

1 Like

The mold looks to have been present prior to installation due to no other nearby wood being affected (from what can be seen) and due to the location. It would never make my report (again, from what I can see there). Probably the bottom of the stack in the lumberyard.

Thanks guys, for the great feedback!