Attic mold

Originally Posted By: kdolin
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

ok ok so this subject line has been used before I know. Let me put it two ways first, I have recently been making note of a substance on the surface of the attic trusses of some of our larger new home developments. This would appear to be mold, green in color mostly, typically on the face of the beams and in random locations throughout the attic space. no moisture is present in the surface or surrounding areas and it would not appear to be as a result of water intrusion. the ventilation of the attic is adequate and temperatures are normal.

This basically would appear to be growth that has formed on the trusses prior to installation or during the installation process prior to sheathing. I have noted similar growth in older and very water tight well ventilated attics. Though I have not tested the areas specifically to identify the type of growth , the consensus is a sap stain fungus or similar type of mold.

Any opinions? has anyone found similar evidence?

Originally Posted By: Gary Van Florcke

why would you not test it, Lab analysis is only $25.00 …Here we go boys

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Gary:

After testing and receiving the Lab results, what do you report?

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Joe I understood Ken to be asking a question

This would appear to be mold, green in color mostly, typically on the face of the beams and in random locations throughout the attic space. no moisture is present in the surface or surrounding areas and it would not appear to be as a result of water intrusion. the ventilation of the attic is adequate and temperatures are normal.
This basically would appear to be growth that has formed on the trusses prior to installation or during the installation process prior to sheathing. I have noted similar growth in older and very water tight well ventilated attics. Though I have not tested the areas specifically to identify the type of growth , the consensus is a sap stain fungus or similar type of mold.
would testing not be a viable way of answering that.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Gary:

You suggested testing for mold.

I asked how you report the lab results after testing.

What do you report?

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Joe I know what you asked and think i know where you are going, I have never nor will I sit up all night and argue the pros and cons of mold testing or any testing for that matter. Its an argument that can not be won or lost. Kens question made it sound as if he was unsure as to whether it was mold or something else. My response is the same…Gary

Yes

and Good Night Joe.

Originally Posted By: kdolin

Thanks for the resposes, this qestion is more to deal with presenting it to the client, I have been seeing this for years and have had testing done on similar situation, the response has always been the same, not a harmful substance. but I would not want to make a general clasification of what I see without specific testing in each instance.

The point with this is I dont want to be an alarm bell, ding ding ding theres mold in your attic, then follows the 20 minuite disertation on mold is a naturally occurring blah blah blah, the materials are affected prior to installation due to the high moisture content of the wood and surrounding ambient air ect ect while the trusses for 42 houses are sitting on site ect.

I dont feel it is a worthy expence to sell tape sample mold test and anaylisis not too mention the additional time that the client has to wait in limbo waiting for the news of the toxisity of the material.

Really I was looking to see how common this situation was or is it limited to my sub tropical climate area, building practices, ect.

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Nice job dodging that one Gary. icon_confused.gif

I thought it was a pretty simple straight forward question. Are your mold reports as vague as your answer?

--
NACHI MAB!

Not dodging anything Ken, just unfortunately have to sleep from time to time.

Joe asked how you report the lab results after testing. I dont do the report the lab does.

What do you report? I dont the lab will decide if there is or is not a problem, if there is at that time I will refer them to one or more of the many more qualified professionals than me.