application of siding during a heavy thunderstorm

Our home was scheduled to have new vinyl siding replace the existing aluminum siding. The contractor notified us that our project was about to begin. Noting that the weather was predicted to be very stormy that day with gusting winds, we, the home-owners, told them in person not to begin. The contractors disagreed with us and told us it would be ok. We still insisted that they should wait until favorable conditions. Yet, the next morning the work crew arrived and began removing all the aluminum siding. Our home was left with only the ORIGINAL Tyvek covering that had hundreds of punctures in it from the removal of the previous siding. At the time that the storm hit, the house was in various stages of completion. A portion of the house had a covering of Thermal LCI Board. Another portion had both the Thermal LCI Board with a covering of PLY DRY house wrap. But, most important, was that a section of the house that had only the original punctured Tyvek. As soon as the storm ended, the workers continued applying and covering the wet house with wet materials. We immediately contacted the contractors who came out and told us that everything would be fine. We are still very concerned about mold and mildew between the walls that may develop later. We are looking for an expert opining as to what to do in this matter.
They told us not to worry about mildew or mold because it could not form on plastic.

Keith and Arlene Sauerland 224 374 6333

Doesn’t sound like a sound practice to me. I’ve been a general contractor over 20 years…

The minor amount of moisture that may have entered through nail holes will most likely dissipate before any mold forms. If moisture like this was an issue, there wouldn’t be any houses built in the Pacific NW for 6-7 months of the year. I see new construction with wet subfloors, studs, trusses and other components all the time and no mold forms. While not the best conditions for installation, it most likely won’t cause an issue. JMHO.

I’m installing vinyl siding on my 16x16 garden shed. It has small vent/drain holes in the bottom (underside) edge. It appears that better quality siding is already designed to ensure that the any trap moisture can be released.