As I keep saying about inflation

Tis a hard animal to tame. That’s why economists almost unanimously predicted a recession would be unavoidable in 2023 or 2024. So far so good though, and many economists are now saying less than a 50% chance (according to online sources).

1 Like

Ain’t Bidenomics grrrreat! And to think all you have to do is screw up the energy sector, create an open border, and hire a cabinet of misfits. Now I hear he’s giving VA money and benefits to illegal aliens.

3 Likes

Per the article, increasing shelter costs were the main driver. Are we considered part of “shelter costs?” :thinking: :blush:

“Shelter prices accounted for much of the rise, climbing 0.6% on the month, contributing more than two-thirds of the headline increase. On a 12-month basis, shelter rose 6%.”

2 Likes

If I recall, they redefined this term for Biden not so long ago. So, when will we actually know? After it happens apparently. Until then, it is all spin.

2 Likes

The US Bureau of Labor Statistics reported 636,000 GOVERNMENT jobs created in 2023.

That is nearly 25% of all job gains in 2023.

Just what we need…more government. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

People like to think government job creation helps the economy. The opposite is true. Government job salaries are paid with tax dollars as opposed to private industries that actually create products and services contributing to the GDP. Government creates no products and provides services which are so poorly run as to invariably increase the burden on taxpayers by creating costs associated with operation; i.e. business location (buy,build or rent), building operation (HVAC, Electric), Office supplies, salaries, benefits, and waste.

1 Like

It wasn’t redefined. The two quarters thing was never an official designation of a recession. It could be an indicator of a looming recession though.

You recall correctly! Bidenomics is nothing but SPIN!

I completely disagree with your statement Bob.

Just as one small example, I used to work for Boeing on the C-17 program which was a job created by the government and the whole program was funded through tax payer money, but the tax payer got a whole lot of value for that money, not only did it pay the salaries of thousands of direct employees, but it also paid the salaries of all the sub-contractors making and building the millions of parts that goes into building a C-17, making it fly, and perform to USAF specifications.

And those specifications are not only in place to have a piece of equipment that will perform as desired, but will also help keep our troops safe, who in turn keep us safe.

Not to mention that all those people who were paid through this government program in turn then spend money in the economy, many buy food, clothes, cars, houses, and I can tell with with certainty that many even hire home inspectors to inspect their new houses. :grinning:

Now I’m not trying to say there isn’t government waste, there is, and a lot of it, but not all government is bad, and government does create jobs, and good jobs.

4 Likes

Unlike individuals, government does not hoard money. They put tax receipts back into the economy immediately in most cases. That’s not to say we should be ok with sending them more and more money, but it is better than having a few individuals hording massive amounts of it.

That is one of the reasons the rich are taxed more. To get their stockpiles back into the economy where it can be useful.

Interesting choice of words. First you say “completely” and you end with “all”. I don’t believe I used either of those words.

Comparing apples to oranges. I didn’t say anything about Government programs with private industry.

That merely means that government can’t save. In fact they just print more, which is worse.

Not true. You have no idea how much of your tax dollar goes overseas never to be seen again.

You have a very simplistic and unrealistic idea about how wealth is created and how it does more good for the economy than the government.

You should talk to Nick about finances and wealth creation to get a more accurate picture.

Those of us lucky enough to have lived debt free while owning their homesteaded primary residence for more than a decade were rewarded with increased capital gains and higher interest rates on their savings accounts. Bidenomics been berry-berry good to me. :grin:

We don’t want government to hoard money. We send them only what they need to operate. Of course they need more to operate than what we send them nowadays.

“Overseas” is also an economy. Trump himself said we need to cut down economic borders. And he was right!

Not true. Created wealth is great! But we need money to flow in our economy as well. Nick flows tons of his wealth into the economy. He also gives away good amounts of his wealth.

You do not own anything; that is an illusion. Just like you do not have control over what happens to your children, both of which can be taken away from you in a flash with force. But let’s be sure to disarm our citizens to speed up the process.

Those few or (many?) Americans who trust the government to do good things on our behalf are speeding up the process of our demise.

They tell Americans it is good, and way too many Americans believe them.

Here are a few things our government is in charge of:
VA
Military
Medicaid
Social Security
Education
Foreign affairs

Please circle the ones they do well.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat Joe. And I feel very fortunate at this time in my life.

But what do higher interest and inflation and lack of savings do for MOST people in the country.

It doesn’t work well when we’re simply myopic.

1 Like

To be fair, all of these programs are quite complex in a nation with so much diversity. None of them are 'for profit" enterprises. That means they will always cost us money. Is it more money than it “could” be? Of course, but we are always looking for someone who can run it better. So far, not many are stepping up.

Niave… Of course, they are for profit! Just not for you or me, the average peasant.

That’s true. But I see plenty of people defending the government and its spending. Like it is a necessary evil…it’s not, and they are bad people.

2 Likes