Asbestos Removal Help

I recently hired a firm to remove asbestos from radiator pipes in my basement. They are a licensed firm to do this form of work. They setup a mini enclosure in my basement and a little shower area and proceeded to remove the asbestos and seemed to do it professionally and in the manner I read it should be done. As part of the job they were also supposed to encapsulate asbestos insulating sheets behind my radiators throughout the house. When the job was done I had two concerns… The 1st floor (where asbestos sheets were encapsulated came back with 0.016 f/cc which is slightly above the 0.01 that EPA mandates. But what caused me more concern is that I realized that some of the radiators on the 1st floor had a hole surrounding the pipe feeding water to them and this hole opens to the inside of the floor which then links to the basement (you can actually shine a light through this hole from the 1st floor radiator and see the light in the basement along the same pipes that had asbestos removed from them. In this case, some of the asbestos that was removed from the pipes was directly against the wall/ceiling in the basement covering the same pipes that lead to those radiators, so the asbestos was sitting a few inches from the actual radiator inlet that had a hole around it. Is there any danger of asbestos fibers having been released around the pipes and leaking through the hole around the pipe and into my 1st floor area?? sorry about this long post, this just made me very concerned…

Check with the site linked below:

Asbestos is a mineral fiber that occurs in rock and soil. Because of its fiber strength and heat resistance it has been used in a variety of building construction materials for insulation and as a fire-retardant. Asbestos has been used in a wide range of manufactured goods, mostly in building materials (roofing shingles, ceiling and floor tiles, paper products, and asbestos cement products), friction products (automobile clutch, brake, and transmission parts), heat-resistant fabrics, packaging, gaskets, and coatings.

Elevated concentrations of airborne asbestos can occur after asbestos-containing materials are disturbed by cutting, sanding or other remodeling activities. Improper attempts to remove these materials can release asbestos fibers into the air in homes, increasing asbestos levels and endangering people living in those homes.

Call or contact your local EPA office; air quality control board; or licensing board for ACM and ask the pro’s in your state this question.