ASHI, ASHI, ASHI, me, me, me

Originally Posted By: jedwards
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

something to offer up as an org’s proof of performance?

I dunno, maybe it is. I'm just asking.

--
John Edwards
Assurance South, LLC home page
Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Quote:
As for the ASHI Experience, as of last Friday close to 90% the candidates and members had signed up and paid their additional dues.

With the vast amount of rumors that I've heard in the past year, I highly doubt that 90% of ASHI members have renewed. Maybe more like 50%, and their still dropping like flies.

Talk house...Ya, right.

Lets talk about a well organized (member driven) Organization that puts its members first and foremost.
![](upload://4jOaTlMJYndnRPnwnNqjosgRdJK.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Quote:
Furthermore it seems like FABI is merely ASHI with palm trees, so now is the time and Florida is the place where HI history can be made.

Seems to me that you are Joe-Right-On-The-Money-Burkeson. I think a Florida organization which isn't ASHI oriented or ashi lite would be great. Lemme know if I can help! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: jpeck

jburkeson wrote:
What will be the purpose of this non-ASHI affiliated HI association?

Joe,

The purpose of this association is the same as that of Gulfstream ASHI, to serve its members.

jburkeson wrote:
I mean who will it serve and what benefit will its members acquire that is not currently provided by some other organization?

Huh? No other local association currently serves this membership, other than Gulfstream ASHI, and those members will still be served by the newly re-structured association.

jburkeson wrote:
I ask because I believe there is a real need for Florida HI association that is not structured in the likeness of ASHI and does not have an ivory tower at its core, what say you?

Double HUH?

We already have a Florida Association, and this is a LOCAL association, just like Gulfstream ASHI was. I think you need to open up your thinking and reasoning into considering things other than just Joe B. and your needs and wants. This is a re-structured local association, serving it members, for its members. What is so hard to grasp about that? It was affiliated with ASHI as an ASHI Chapter, it will no longer be so (when it dies in September). The same members will be meeting at the same place, at the same time, teaching and learning from each other in the same way, with new members coming in, ONLY WE WILL NOT BE AN ASHI CHAPTER. Now, really, isn't that simple to understand?

jburkeson wrote:
Furthermore it seems like FABI is merely ASHI with palm trees, so now is the time and Florida is the place where HI history can be made.

Joe, you sure don't pull your head out of the sand much do you. Maybe you need to attend some FABI meetings, and learn what the real outside world is like and about.

You remind me of the ostrich which doesn't want to be seen, so it sticks its head in the sand. You are almost as bad as Harvey. He doesn't want having a High School diploma as a requirement simply because he doesn't have one. So, instead of going out and taking the GED test and getting one, he just tries to justify why one is not needed.

And to think that the two of you are "President" of your local NACHI chapter. I really had more hope for NACHI than the way this is turning out. I thought NACHI could actually turn things around and become a respected association, except that at every chance it gets, it takes the 'easy way out' and goes toward the lowest common denominator, instead of trying to increase its standing and requirements, it just goes to the lowest of the low, for numbers sake.

There is a need for numbers, as ASHI has shown, however, there is also a need for high standards, also as ASHI has shown. The downfall of ASHI is not the high standards, it is the turning of a high standards association into a marketing association. I used to log my ASHI dues into my Quick Books as "Professional Development", last year and this year, they went in as "Advertising", because that is what ASHI has turned into, just ask them, it's Branding, and that is "advertising". I got my joke of a $250 "branding" package, looked at it, laughed, and threw it away.

Anyway, back to topic, this new re-structured local group will be serving the local need, just like it has done in the past.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Deleted… icon_biggrin.gif

Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Ouuucccchhhhh!

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

jburkeson wrote:
but I will say, the blame for the failure of your organization

Joe,

See?

That is what I am talking about. You can't (or just don't, as in you chose not to) read what is written.

There was no failure of our organization. We chose to become non-ASHI affiliated.

This is like talking to a brick wall, all I here is a distorted echo.

Give it your own spin, it is what you do best. That's all from me to you on this.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: dbush

Quote:
As far as NACHI goes, we exist because of people like you and organizations like ASHI / FABI, do you think Nick would have had to start NACHI if it wasn't due to persecution? NACHI fills a need, and right now there is a need for an honest Florida HI association to help Florida introduce inclusive HI licensing. It is quite obvious that no current home inspector in Florida who is in business less than three years can trust you or FABI to represent them.

Joe, NACHI does not necessarily exist because of ASHI/FABI. NACHI exists for the betterment of the home inspection industry and the home inspectors. We do watch the legislation in all states and work towards the fairness of the licensing where necessary, such as it is necessary in Florida; however, fighting ASHI is not our primary focus in Florida or anywhere else in the United States. We are striving for a positive professional organization, which has the inspector's best interest at mind. We have several members who are also ASHI members as we have several members who are NAHI members and if they were the sole reason we existed, we would just still be spinning our wheels, which we are not. We are on a very forward motion and unfortunately the "we have to kick ASHI's name in the Mud every damn chance we get" seems to hurt us a whole lot more than it ever promotes us. Both here and other places we need to concentrate much more on pro-nachi items than anti-everything else. Once we can begin to do that with our OWN members, maybe we can get it moving in the right direction for others also.

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Dave:

I agree. I think NACHI would be like the 8 (by my count) other national (wanna be) associations that fizzled out before us, if we had to rely on ASHI ship-jumpers. I think our success can be credited to many factors, least of which is ASHI. Even if you disregarded all the NACHI members who are ex-ASHI (like your's truly), we are still the largest home inspection association in the world from any angle you look at us. This can only mean that our success has to do with what we are doing right, not with what ASHI is doing wrong.

Anyway, fight like hell against ASHI the association and the damage their causing but be nice to our fellow NACHI/ASHI brothers... or as in my own case... my real NACHI/ASHI brother. ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

Nick

A big ‘here’s to you’ agreement.

Now, if only NACHI would follow through on making the 'Certified' actually mean something, as has been discussed with Nick, Joe. H., Gerry B. and others in e-mails many months back. All I see is NACHI shooting for the lowest common denominator inspector level.

If NACHI wants to improve in that aspect, really improve, then I will be glad to help, but fighting meaningful legislation which protects the public just because it adversely affects a few inspectors is doing just the opposite. Isn't that what licensing is for? Make the HI have to meet certain standards?

Or should it let any uneducated person with no experience, but has enough money to buy an occupational license, in as a "professional"? If so, where is the "profession" in what we are trying to do?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Agreed.

---Yesterday we started the first phase of pushing the use of http://www.nachi.org/suretest.htm

---2 days ago Gerry B. emailed me with an update on our newer, harder inspector exam.

---Last week we announced a consumer hotline for the home inspection industry.

---Last month we announced the development of an Occupant Hazard Recognition Primer http://www.nachi.org/ohrp.htm as an upcoming additional membership requirement http://www.nachi.org/membership one must fulfill BEFORE they even apply to NACHI.

---And 2 months ago we announced E&O insurance discounts to entice more of our members to consider carrying it.

Let's keep moving everyone up withouth knocking everyone out.

Nick

PS. Our http://www.nachi.org/events are becoming more educational too.

course:

http://www.nachi.org/baltimoreelectricalseminar.htm

Please attend. All welcome.

Nick

Nick,

That's the kind of stuff NACHI should be doing. The reason I thought (and sometimes still think) NACHI has promise. Then it all seems to fall apart when going for the lowest common denominator inspector.

I guess I feel NACHI has flashes of brilliance, then I see the man behind the curtain saying 'pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, the Great Wizard of Oz speaks'. I'm not referring to you, but to what appears, on many posts, to be a hidden agenda to appeal to the lowest level inspector out there, then call its inspectors "Certified", and even consider a CMI, then appealing to the bucketheads again.

It's like the growing pains (and I am sure that is part of it) are pulling NACHI is opposing directions, with two or three hands on the tiller, pulling in different directions and a couple of more hands working the sails, only not in unison.

Still out there in the life boat I was set adrift in.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry:

CMI is on hold until our CMI exam is perfect. The members made it pretty clear that we couldn't do CMI without the exam first.

If you have been set adrift in a life boat where am I? Swimming all alone I guess. You at least visit the members-only section. I refuse.

I figure it this way... if the steering committee or roundtable or whatever they call it wants something from me they'll let me know. If a committee want something from me they'll let me know. If my staff needs something they'll let me know. If the membership wants me to do something they'll let me know. And most importantly, if I do something any member disagrees with... they sure as hell let me know!

I feel like your "tiller."

Nick

Originally Posted By: tallen

Jerry,

Who are these bucketheads?

Does passing the NHIE make one Certified?

IYO what does make one eligible for Certification?

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Deleted… icon_biggrin.gif

Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

gromicko wrote:
If you have been set adrift in a life boat where am I? Swimming all alone I guess. You at least visit the members-only section. I refuse.

I thought you were on board holding the other end of the line attached to my life boat. I'm in trouble now, but I do have an extra life preserver on board to throw to you when I see you bob up to the surface.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

jburkeson wrote:
As long as FABI/ASHI

As always, it's 'beat the other associations' up with you, even right after Nick said that is detrimental to NACHI and does not help anything.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: rfarruggia

Why doesn’t NACHI just adopt the EBPHI exam? It is recognized and accepted just about everywhere.

Just because it was once the ASHI entrance exam doesn’t make it bad. It is a good, difficult test that can only be taken in a proctored environment.

I for one would like to say that my ‘certified’ qualifications is based on the exact same standards as others. I don’t want to explain to my customers that my membership in NACHI is qualified by an exam that it easier (or more difficult, or about the same) as any other organization. I want to say that we have the same exam, and that I choose to belong to this organization for my own reasons.

The EBPHI exam is a good test. We should just accept it for what it is, and use it as our standard. If we do, anyones claim that we are a s#!t organization should be quelled.

Originally Posted By: Scott Patterson

rfarruggia wrote:
Why doesn't NACHI just adopt the EBPHI exam? It is recognized and accepted just about everywhere.
Just because it was once the ASHI entrance exam doesn't make it bad. It is a good, difficult test that can only be taken in a proctored environment.
I for one would like to say that my 'certified' qualifications is based on the exact same standards as others. I don't want to explain to my customers that my membership in NACHI is qualified by an exam that it easier (or more difficult, or about the same) as any other organization. I want to say that we have the same exam, and that I choose to belong to this organization for my own reasons.
The EBPHI exam is a good test. We should just accept it for what it is, and use it as our standard. If we do, anyones claim that we are a s#!t organization should be quelled.

You need to only know the past history between EBPHI, Nick and NACHI and you would understand why this is most likely to never happen.

NACHI has some great folks that belong to its organization, I have spoken to many of them on the phone several times and have seen them at various HI meetings around the country. From what I have seen, the experienced inspectors who have been in the business for more than five years are the ones who would like to see the battle of the HI organizations end, the newer home inspectors want to keep the battle going. I can promise you that over the past year and possibly even longer NACHI has not been the subject of a negative post on the ASHI site, or if it has I have not seen it. Sure we have had some "Tit for Tat" post on other forums, but those have decreased to a drip, down from a flood a year ago. Yet on the NACHI site ASHI or NAHI is a daily topic. Ask Nick as I'm sure he still has access to the ASHI site through his brother who is an ASHI member.

Those who hate ASHI and all that it stands for need to realize that if it was not for ASHI our profession would be similar to the Tow Truck industry. A wise person once told me that it is professional suicide to talk negatively about your competition and to never burn bridges as you might just need to cross that bridge for help one day.

It looks like most of the ASHI hatred stems from legislation in the various states. So if you don't like the legislation that is being presented in many of the states then get off your duff and get your own legislation into the legislative loop. Many states have good laws on the books already don't try to reinvent the wheel. Don't sit back and wait for someone else to do it, or you might not the results. It is too late to do much about what has happened this year in most states, you need to start working toward next year.

Just some observations.