ASHI, ASHI, ASHI, me, me, me

Originally Posted By: kluce
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I went to a class that is offered for first time home buyers this evening. They had a home inspector come in to talk about home inspections. All he talked about was ASHI and that he belonged to ASHI. The 45 minutes he talked it covered mostly ASHI and him. When people asked him questions, he included ASHI with it. The topic was about home inspections which should have included the process of the inspection. It was about ASHI first and him second and everything else he coved in between.

Do they get paid for the number of times they say ASHI during a speaking. If so, he made a lot of money.

I'm not joking about the amount of times he mentioned ASHI. ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

I think that it is part of their Branding Campaign.

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: tallen

Do you mean the WE SPEAK HOUSE Campaign icon_question.gif I think this is a last ditch effort on the part of ASHI to control the market.

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Deleted… icon_biggrin.gif

Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: ekartal

It’s not part of the branding campaign. I know NAHI members that do this too. Basically it’s a joint marketing effort comprised of a realtor and inspector who share the costs. This particular inspector may have been a newbie who’s counting on name recognition to get some business.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Just thought I’d update you as it is relative to this topic.

Our Gulfstream ASHI Chapter is at the beginning of the end. We have voted to change from an ASHI Chapter (2-1 to switch, voted tonight). Out of about 30 members, I think about 6 have renewed (at least until this September, then some of those 6 may not renew).

Come one, come all, to next months meeting as the Gulfstream ASHI Chapter winds down and the new group, as yet un-named, forms and gels as its replacement. If you are in South Florida, come and learn, and teach (we all teach each other).

Always good friends, always good education, always good food (well, okay, the food it good most of the time).

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: dvalley

NACHI is NACHIONAL and I think NACHI will NACHITIZE the NACHIITES when NACHI comes to order. We will bring NACHI to the top and NACHI will prevail over others. As of today NACHI has proven to be the top Inspection organization in the world. NACHISMO and NACHIITES will be NACHITIZED as of tomorrow. If there any questions about NACHITION and NACHISMO, please forward them to NACHI.org.

NACHITY and NACHITA will NACITIZE on May 12th. When NACHITIZING is in effect, NACHI will advise all realtors. Until then, NACHI SOPS remain in effect. If and when you hire a Home Inspector, make sure they are NACHI members. Because NACHITES NACHITIZE NACHIONAL standards. NACHI inspectors are certified and are NACHITIZED by the government. If NACHI fails to recognize defects in your client?s home, NACHITER will NACHIITE the entire NACHI organization.
Please use NACHI inspectors. NACHIOP and NACHIFER will be effective as of today. NACHUNITY takes place and NACHMONIES will be distributed amongst all. So participation in NACHIUNITY is NACHIITIZED. When NACHIOPS decide to become NACHITES, then NACHI will be the known home inspector. Call 1-800-IMNACHI or go online at www.NACHI.org to find out more about NACHIITES and NACHIPROS today.

Now what did I just say?
![](upload://71SxD0QUCDtG6eg3FOZKsa7TCPT.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: dfrend

NACHO’s anyone? icon_razz.gif

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

tallen wrote:
Do you mean the WE SPEAK HOUSE Campaign ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) I think this is a last ditch effort on the part of ASHI to control the market.

Yes!!! He brought this up twice. He told us that he doesn't speak Spanish, "he speaks house". I never heard of this before last night.

He was a terrible speaker.

Originally Posted By: Scott Patterson

kluce wrote:
tallen wrote:
Do you mean the WE SPEAK HOUSE Campaign ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) I think this is a last ditch effort on the part of ASHI to control the market.

Yes!!! He brought this up twice. He told us that he doesn't speak Spanish, "he speaks house". I never heard of this before last night.

He was a terrible speaker.

Kevin,

Have you ever tried public speaking? It's not all that easy.

ASHI is recognized across the country, I am sure that this guy was counting on the ASHI name over his. Who knows why he spoke so much about ASHI, but it was his time and not yours.

As for the ASHI Experience, as of last Friday close to 90% the candidates and members had signed up and paid their additional dues. Kind of like what the President said last night "Let the voters decide". Only time will tell but so far it looks like it is working.

Scott, I have never heard such a load of crap.

icon_evil.gif

A seminar for first time home buyers is just that, for first time home buyers! Not ASHI. I have taught these. They are supposed to be to educate these buyers on why to have an inspection. I am all for marketing during these. I put my company name on my slides and throw the NACHI logo out there. I don't go and say "Have a home inspection, but only by a NACHI inspector" or "How is a NACHI inspector better". I simply introduce myself, my company and affiliation and then tell them why an inspection is important. It is my time to talk, but not "my" time. It is there time, they have invested to come and learn, and if all I do is pound my affiliation at them, they have learned nothing except that I care more about what my title is than helping them be protected!

Don't feed us the BS that this guy can do what he wants because he is talking. Sure he has that right, but he is wasting everyone's time and is wasting time that is designed to be about education. I teach seminars put on by a Long and Foster agent. She says who she is with, and gives her promotional items, but does not preach why she is better than Remax!

This is a prime example how the "branding" is making a mockery of the industry. How many people walked away saying, man that guy was like a pushy salesman? There is a time and a place.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store

Hi Daniel,

The only reason this home inspector was at the seminar was to get business. He may have been or may not have been an effective speaker, I don't know as I was not in attendance just like you were not in attendance. So I really can't talk about the quality of his talk or what it was about. I guess the only way to judge his effectiveness would be by the number of inspections he received as a result of his talk.

I would venture to say that most inspectors who do give seminars and have experience in doing them do not tout their company or affiliation. It is a learning experience. Good speakers learn every time they get up in front of an audience.

I agree that the main purpose any of us would do these seminars is to get business. But you have to keep in mind WHY the audience is there. To hear you talk about your company? No. To learn about the buying process and leave educated? Yes.

So if you get up and give a company or association pitch, you are wasting there time, and likely would leave more upset with your speech than anything, knowing they were conned into attending a sales pitch. I do not know what the speaker said, so I can only go by what we were told. If that is true, they pushed the limits.

Personally, I get alot of business from these, but not from talking alot about me. Most of the people go with a vendor who is familiar to them. Some may not know anyone and search. Most of the people at the seminars I do are already going to use the agent who sponsored it and got them there in the first place. So they will leave with my brochure and when the time comes to chose, and the agent says call him, they remeber me and don't look elsewhere.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store

There was a lot of basic information he left out. Asking if the HI is insured, ask for reference, the basic things that should be asked were not brought up during this class. Not at one point did he show any other way a home inspection can be done. I felt that people might think that his way is the only way. ASHI, ASHI, ASHI, Me, Me, Me was most of the class.

Teaching about home Inspections is the primary message, his company should have been secondary. His company was clearly primary.

I'm not saying anything bad about ASHI unless they promote this kind of advertising. At this time, I'm just going to assume it was this person.

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Deleted… icon_biggrin.gif

Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: ltrower

Kevin,

I am sure that for those ASHI members that have stayed for the "hosing" in additional dues must have gotten a note in their packet that told them,
If you mention ASHI 250 times at a meeting they will be rewarded with 72 home inspections when you get to heaven or .........

Lee Trower

jburkeson wrote:
Scott Patterson wrote:
As for the ASHI Experience, as of last Friday close to 90% the candidates and members had signed up and paid their additional dues. Kind of like what the President said last night "Let the voters decide". Only time will tell but so far it looks like it is working.

Scott,

I was at a HI Meeting last week where the speaker (ASHI Member) talked about the "Experience" marketing kit, he was not too pleased, said that it amounted to a few fliers and some stickers, what is your opinion, as I am closing in on the sacred-250 and need to know if I should grab that low-cost mortgage to fund my ASHI membership? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Jerry Peck wrote:
Our Gulfstream ASHI Chapter is at the beginning of the end. We have voted to change from an ASHI Chapter (2-1 to switch, voted tonight). Out of about 30 members, I think about 6 have renewed (at least until this September, then some of those 6 may not renew).

Jerry,

Sorry to hear that, I believe it was Nietzsche that said... "That which is about to fall deserves to be pushed." What is your opinion of a new Florida State organization, one based on free enterprise and more in line with the fraternal and egalitarian principals of NACHI? We really need a Florida Home Inspection Association that represents the MAJORITY of Florida Home Inspectors, don't you think?

Joe Burkeson

Hi Joe,

The Kit or "tool box" is a very small part in my opinion. I have used a few of the items, I guess I use the survey cards the most. Every report I send out has a survey card attached to it or as I email most I have a link to the ASHI site so my customer can fill one out online.

The new ASHI website and the referrals have more than paid for the increased dues several times over in the way increased business. So this is why I say the ASHI Experience is working for me. Not everyone will have the same results, it all depends on your area and in particular you and your personality.

Joe you're welcome back anytime.

Regards,

Scott
2004 ASHI National Education Chairman
http://www.ashi.org

Originally Posted By: jpeck

jburkeson wrote:
Jerry Peck wrote:

Jerry,

Sorry to hear that,

Nothing to be sorry about, I have been working toward that goal for some time now.

We will let it expire a natural death when paid memberships run out in Sept., in the mean time, we are re-organizing as a non-ASHI affiliated HI association, which will then step up and run the future meetings.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Scott Patterson wrote:
As for the ASHI Experience, as of last Friday close to 90% the candidates and members had signed up and paid their additional dues.

Scott:

Does this number reflect 90 percent of ASHI Members that renewed?

or

Does this number reflect 90 percent of the Members that were members Last Year?

The real question is:
How many former ASHI Members chose not to renew Membership?
How many ASHI Members have been "Administratively Suspended"?

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Scott,

You made that sound like the members actually had a choice as to whether or not they wanted to pay the branding dues. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

I know that the 90% figure was thrown out there eariler in reference to how many members A$HI was expected to lose. Maybe all of the 10% they lost just happen to tell me they were quitting, or maybe like Jerry, just letting the membership expire.

In all fairness, you will not really know how many inspectors A$HI lost for a few years as some are probably in it just to see where it goes, then they will quit.

It has been nice talking with you again, come back soon.

Joe Myers