Ask me anything about inspecting septic systems...

Here, with the sale of any home on a Septic System, the System needs to be Pumped and Inspected by a Licensed Company specializing in Septic Inspections.

Same here.

But a home itself does not need to be inspected with the sale?

Brian, is that a state, county or city regulation?

Massachusetts regulations require all Sellers to obtain a Title V inspectionbefore a sale or transfer.

Greg, what are the qualifications of those allowed to inspect them and what if a home inspector has those qualifications?

how to identify different systems
life expectancy
repair or replace
tell tale signs
recovery
adding microbes myth or fact
sizing
Section for Canadian Inspectors Please

You need to be a state licensed septic contractor or a state licensed master plumber.

Septic tank inspections carry far more liability than anyone can imagine. The only accurate inspection is open pit and pumped.

A true septic tank inspection requires an examination of several items, starting with whether the wastewater is actually ENTERING the tank in the first place. Level of water, condition of the baffles, whether waste material is sitting on top of the baffle, examination of what is in the tank, and probing the leech field are all paramount. Let’s not forget the composition of the tank itself and its capacity.

Load and dye testing is, in my opinion, a big rip-off for an unsuspecting client, as it will only reveal limited findings.

Let’s also remember that physical damage to the tank or cover can occurr when uncovering the system, not counting the liability if something happens as a result (or alleged result) of you tampering with things (like a child falling in due to an improperly placed cover).

Check with your E&O provider to see if they will even indemnify you after performing an inspection on one of these systems. If you put yourself out as qualified to inspect, you had better be what you claim to be…

All real.

I stopped doing inspections of these systems long ago, and always advise the client to have the tank pumped and inspected prior to the close of escrow.

And for those who do not know… on-site wastewater systems come in all types of configurations. Would you be comfortable telling the client that a septic system is installed, when a cesspool is what is actually in place? What of three-tank configurations, with pump and pump alarm? What of systems with no leech fiels but with a 2nd tank?

Like I said, the liability is way high. Think twice before you inspect once. And… many states (and some counties and municipalities) require licensing for this service.

Who says the grass is always greener over the septic tank?:mrgreen:

Russell,

What are your worrying about that for. Unless you are a licensed septic company or master plumber you cant inspect septics in florida anyway.

In many states, and individual counties, you have to be employed by the county or state, and have a degree, education, etc. All are different. Here in Kansas, the county itself checks the septic system; no one else. In rural counties, individuals can do them, but qualifications are varied. Since tanks are underground, and codes/requirements change often, liability is just too great for me. Some plumbers do scopes, but that may be inconclusive. Removing the tank cover, pumping, then visual check is usually best by septic companies; not the HI.