Attached Garage?

Today’s inspection had a 2 car garage. There is a mudroom that separates the garage and the house. There is a metal, fire rated door at the garage. The separating wall is block with no open penetrations. Does this meet the requirements for gas & fire separation? Thanks,

it would work for me Rick

3 Likes

Ditto! :+1:

I agree with Jeffrey and James. This is a perfect example of HIs inspecting functionality and code inspectors inspecting code. A code inspector would be looking for fire rating stickers on the door, etc. As HIs we need to be logical and make the call that masonry and metal are an acceptable barrier. Fwiw, I’d verify good weather-stripping and threshold at the door.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

Yep, it works, Rick…

Depending on how the attic over the garage, mudroom, and house is configured, you may have to consider what is happening at the garage ceiling. Looks like drywall on the left but what is on the right?

2 Likes

Good eye, Ryan! :+1:

2 Likes

that would be a non issue for me given the configuration shown …

1 Like

I see now in the first picture the main home’s attic is out of play. Could still be an issue at the “mudroom” attic though. Pictures are inconclusive.

1 Like

Same here. Doesn’t appear that the mudroom attic ties into the house attic. However, I wasn’t there. From here, it would good to go in my eyes.

That’s probably true, but I would consider the mudroom as “habitable space.” At least looking at the pictures. It’s not really a mudroom, it’s more like an entry space.

1 Like

I suppose if there was somebody in the attic of the breezeway (what we call them here) with a jackhammer opening up a hole into the outside wall of that brick veneer home then and only then could that be an issue …but go ahead and call that a problem…

You don’t consider the entryway part of the home? I do in this case.

4 Likes

There could be another door at the other end of the breezeway that we can’t see, but yet again the breezeway is open to the basement?

2 Likes

Guys, there is no attic area over the mudroom. There is another door at the end of the mudroom/hallway. The garage ceiling is drywall (without tape) and plywood. With no attic area above the garage and no 2nd level of the house attached to the garage, I didn’t see the ceiling as an issue.

3 Likes

Not to beat a dead horse, lol. But neither the garage or entryway ceilings look vaulted. Are you sure there is not attic above these areas? Do you have a picture from another angle of how the entryway roof ties into the garage roof?

3 Likes

END

2 Likes

:rofl: :laughing: :joy: :rofl: :laughing: :joy:

1 Like

Wonder if that will work? That could come in handy. :thinking:

1 Like