Attic Inspection Questions

It’s a wall alright, but f cked up seat cut.

1 Like

Came here too late for post withdrawn.
Get 'em Scotty

You wanted to comment on whose post, mine?
I’ll put it back up but it was just dribble. There isn’t anything that can be seen to prevent lateral movement of the rafters or rafter spread. Its being held down by gravity. LOL and it probably has an overroof. Do you see any rafter ties or Ceiling joists connected to the rafters?
I’ve seen the smallest problems pointed out around this forum and to me this seems obvious.
I know a reputable carpenter is not going to build like that.
The roof when built likely had at least a fascia. Just saying :relieved: 🤷.
No, I am not referring to a code compliance. This was an inspectors house and the rafters stuck out like sore thumb. Putting in some blocking or a board across those cut rafter ends when improving ventilation could be beneficial.

I’m done now.
So serious we are.
:wink:

How the hell would we know to comment or not.
IT"S GONE.
Take it easy don’t get queasy.

1 Like

Hey Marc
You’re in Florida so I may assume you have seen rafter rotation :thinking:. LOL

It’s possible but in the photo the rafter has muddy coloration which is why I still think it’s from being a form board of sorts, could have been used as a plank or something to walk upon.

As Marcel stated it can look more grey and solid in coloration. I think it depends on what the wood was treated with before being used and what they did afterwards to remove the residue before being repurposed.

I don’t think I’d bet any money on my opinion though LOL, just speculation.

Are you a mold inspector with a certification? Were you hired to do a mold inspection? Did you use a moisture meter to see if the wood is wet? If the wood insn’t wet and you are not certified as a mold inspector then just say that the wood is stained and that it is dry. You shouldn’t declare that it is mold if you are not qualified. You are doing a ‘general visual inspection’. Stay in your lane.

2 Likes