Attic Rafter question

Inspected a house earlier and am concerned about the attic. My gut instinct is to recommend a structural evaluation. My concern is the fact that only one half of the space had cords, that looked like they were added as an afterthought. Also where the Rafters connected to the ridge beam (a single 2X10) there seemed to be excessing nailing. I know that sounds like it should be a concern, however it looked more like the person who put it in place was not sure as opposed to just being cautious. There was no webbing. Also, normally the rafter would overlap the wall to create the eave, where these just ended on top of the wall. while there was a thermostat controlled fan, did not appear to be any ventilation from the eaves. A few of my pictures did not come out, but here are two that did.

I know we are not code inspectors, but from what I see in other areas of this house with Plumbing and Electrical, I can fairly certain much of it was done by a homeowner that wasn’t quite up to speed and may not have obtained permits

Thoughts?

So - Looks like the picture where the rafters don’t extend out is an addition built over the old roof decking and the rafter ends are siting on a new valley rafter - that looks normal from here.
In the first picture there is not enough to see what is going on - there are collar ties and a ridge and rafters, can’t see much beyond that.

2 Likes

I agree with Alan…no visible problem.

3 Likes

The only concern I have based on your description is the lack of air intake for attic ventilation. A power vent with no intake is going to take that air from inside the home thru gaps and cracks as well as super-heat the attic space. That will certainly cause energy loss and the shingles probably won’t fair well either.

The rafters are sitting on top of what’s called a sleeper board. The concern are the rafter heels lacking support. They should’ve doubled up on the sleeper board to make it wider.

2 Likes

Is it like a 1940’s style cape with no overhang?
images (20)

2 Likes

Collar ties on every second rafter is a proper construction method.

1 Like

@srechkin Something like this?

1 Like

Be aware, the fastening on this framing picture ^ exceeds IRC. Connection of rafters to top plate require 3 - 8d nails toenailed. Look it up!

There may be other requirements for wind, including hurricane clips or tie down screws.

1 Like

This is an opinion, but I would not call that issue. The rafters on that roof structure appear to be 2 x 10s. From the picture, it appears that span could have been framed with a 2 x 6 rafter, in which case most of the heel of the rafter would be sitting on the top plate. IMO, the heel bearing is not a significant issue in this case. I’d ignore it, others may wish to mention it as a very minor item. Recognize that those deep rafters could have been cut in a different manner to get the heel to bear on the top plate, but this is how it was done. It meets the function test.

IMO, this roof appears to be decently framed and without issues from what the pictures show.

That would be ridge board

2 Likes

Correct, it is my opinion. In fact, everything in my report is my opinion :slight_smile: Never said it’s an issue, I said it’s a concern. Better heel support is not just for a load transfer, but also helps minimize twisting of an oversized lumber.

1 Like