Attic Ventilation SOP Requirement

IMG_0243.JPG IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0022.JPG IMG_0228.JPG IMG_0230.JPG

According to Res. SOP
2.9. Attic, Ventilation & Insulation I. The inspector shall inspect
B. the ventilation of the attic spaces
C. mechanical ventilation systems;

II. The inspector is not required to:

F. activate thermostatically operated fans.
Is that confusing to anyone?
Because the SOP requires me to inspect the attic ventilation AND the mechanical ventilation systems, a client might say my inspection includes activating the thermostatically operated fan.

In law, if there is any confusion, the consumer wins.

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

How can it be “confusing” when it specifically states that the inspector is not required to activate thermostatically operated fans?

If a consumer thinks that the mechanical ventilation system in an attic includes a roof fan, then there is confusion. And when there’s confusion, the consumer legally is protected (or wins).

Ditto.

Just like other exclusions and limitations.

Are they talking about a remotely installed thermostat or integrally built-in with the exhaust fan set at a pre-set temperature.

If it is remote, then what is the difference between that and using normal operating controls on a furnace thermostat?

What if I use a simulated heat source (my lighter) to activate the thermostat? Then I did not touch it and know if it worked, right. :mrgreen:

Hard to activate a thermostat controlled attic fan when the temp is in the 20’s. Most of the t-stats don’t go much below 60, if that.:wink:

Blaine, you got to use this one;

Line voltage 0-100

http://images.grainger.com/B293_64/images/products/2E815.JPG

:mrgreen::wink:

Actually, Marcel, I try not to inspect when the temperature is below 60. Just too darn cold for me! ;-):D:D:D

Still looking for one for my area Blaine 0-85. :mrgreen::wink:

Poured concrete last Winter at -8 and that was pushing my limit.
My blood stops flowing at below 0:mrgreen:

I think I’d be pretty ticked off at an inspector that started fooling around with the thermostatic controls on the power vent in my attic and have no problem telling a client that is not my job…

Haven’t seen one yet so I guess it is not a problem Jim.
Usually, everything is frozen up there anyways. :wink:

yes Marcel it is a regional thing for sure, different parts of the country they are very handy…mine runs a lot in the summer months…it has a thermostat and a humidistat, but you will never hear it come on between September and may…

You know Jim, this makes me think.

Would not having the proper insulation value and the proper 1 sf. of free air ventilation per 300 sf of attic space and a natural balance of eave and soffit vents off-set the cost of the energy usage and maintenance required for those fans to begin with?

Just talking out loud. :slight_smile:

I had that same conversation with my roofer two years ago when this one was installed Marcel…and it sure was borderline on this house, but a number of years back i owned a split level with great temperature differences from level to level…and decided to install a couple of power vents…solved the problem in a heart beat and saved a bundle on heating and cooling…I think it greatly depends on the design of the structure…jmo…

I guess going back to checking an exhaust fan in the Attic, I would personally just note that one was observed and not inspected for whatever design it was intended for. The hell with the fan. :mrgreen::wink:

According to Res. SOP
2.9. Attic, Ventilation & Insulation
I. The inspector shall inspect

II. However, the inspector is not required to:

With that simple change, I believe the SOP is made more clear and precise. Of course, I don’t know how it applies to Items A through G…and I’m only an old architect trying to help.

I agree with James. The SoP are written in two parts. The requirement is modified by the limitation. I think it would easily hold up in a debate because writting SoP like this is an industry standard be it NAHI, ASHI, et al.

The purpose of splitting the limitations into their own section is because one limitation may apply to many requirements.

According to Res. SOP
2.9. Attic, Ventilation & Insulation I. The inspector shall inspect

So, if II.F. is a limitation to the inspection requirements. Then the SOP requires ACTIVATING the mechanical ventilation systems. Yes?
The use of “activate” in the limitation implies that the requirement of “inspecting” includes “activating.”

II.F. limits activating a certain type of fan; it is not limiting the action of the inspector.

Agreed?

Sorry but no

Confusing, so the average Joe somo consumer can go back to the dealership and claim they were confused and did not know they were supposed to change the oil or were confused on which hole to pour it in, and now want to know when their new engine will be installed?

I think this one may be getting over thought. JMHO:D