Basement wall Insulation

I am in Michigan and am dealing with a insulation issue. The home is an attached condo on a hill, the front is buried and the rear of the home only has 4 feet of the foundation buried. The basement is finished with 2x4 wood studs and drywall with fiberglass batt insulation. The insulation has the paper facing the concrete wall and is touching the concrete with no air gap. The home was build in 2006 and the basement and was finished by the original builder at the time of the home being built.
I have not completed the report yet and the listing agent is upset that i had mentioned it because it was finished back then and the building department passed it. the buyer is saying they want it corrected. My question is, how should I word the insulation issue?

Basements are unique when it comes to insulating them properly. What exactly did you recommend? BTW, what the town passed is of no concern of a HI. The buyer can demand “anything”, the seller does not have to comply.

I haven’t recommended anything in writing yet, I was looking for some advise on wording for the report.

the house is 13 years old, what issues did you observe in the basement related to the insulation (other than what you stated above)? remember, a kraft paper is not a vapor barrier.

I would attach documentation of the correct installation of the insulation. Doesn’t matter if it was approved or passed initially.

The facing on kraft -faced insulation is made of kraft paper with an asphalt coating that makes the paper impermeable to water vapor . The paper creates a vapor barrier that helps keep the water vapor in the warm, moist, heated indoor air from migrating outward into the wall or other structure.

Larry, where did you get this? this is not the norm of a typical paper faced (kraft) fiberglass insulation.

" Perm values for the various facing materials currently applied to Owens Corning Pink Fiberglas building insulation … 1 for Kraft-asphalt"

" Class II – Low permeability vapor retarders – rated greater than 0.1 perms and less than or equal to 1.0 perms. The kraft facing on batts qualify as a Class II vapor retarder."

https://insulationinstitute.org/im-a-building-or-facility-professional/residential/installation-guidance-2/moisture-management/vapor-retarders/

I’m sorry, Simon. I looked and looked through my history to no avail. I feel badly because it was a direct quote and I thought I gave credit but did not. Bummer…:unamused: :pensive: It came from a “Science” something web site.

Understandable confusion between the two. Many use the vapor barrier and vapor retarder interchangeably.
Here is an article that will help answer the OP’s question and many others regarding permeability of different material.
https://insulationinstitute.org/im-a-building-or-facility-professional/residential/installation-guidance-2/moisture-management/vapor-retarders/

1 Like

Thanks, Marcel. :+1: