Bat feces or not?

Found this in an attic. Didn’t actually see any Bats but it sure looks like they were here at one time. Anyone confirm?

1 Like

Did you subject it to the true and tested lick test?

PS: that looks like a giant pile in a single spot! usually indicative of :bat: :poop:

5 Likes

It looks like it could be from here in GA. As Simon says, that second pic showing the pile is usually the first indicator.

1 Like

It’s bats.
ps… guano has nutritional value

4 Likes

Here is a little bit of helpful information. One page read.

3 Likes

did it taste like chicken ???

4 Likes

Bat guano, yes.

Here’s some insteresting information on the subject.

2 Likes

And lots of them. My most dreded encounter.

1 Like

Should we call this bat scat ! Scat Bat, Scat ! Don’t do that !

Probably one of those “banned” Dr. Seuss books.

6 Likes

Put them in a bowl of milk. If they snap, crackle, & pop, they are Cocoa Krispies. If they don’t, its guano.

2 Likes

Bat guano is valuable. Word on the street is that it is a favorite among growers of a certain type of plant known to produce an enjoyable experience when smoked, so I have been told. Better not let the sellers know that is up there, price of the house might go up!

5 Likes

Nearly all bats in North America are insect eaters, or good bats. I would recommend closing off access into the attic and adding a bat motel(s) to the exterior.

Amazon.com : Bat House for Outdoors,Double Chamber Cedar Bat Shelter, Convenient for Bats Roost and Land,Create Healthy Mosquito-Free Courtyard, Optimum Wooden Bat Box-Easier to Install and Weatherproof-Brown : Patio, Lawn & Garden

How about recommending a professional to deal with it on the sellers time and dime? I wouldn’t want to deal with a bat issue if buying a house. You make it sound so fluffy and easy.

4 Likes

You have stepped into one of my pet peeves. I strongly do not think home inspectors should be recommending who should do repairs. A home inspectors’ job is to say that this or that needs to be fixed and never whether the seller or the buyer should be the one to pay for or do the fixing. Buyers with consultations with their agent decide if they will ask the seller to do something and we should stay clear of those conversations. The only exception for me to my rule is if the buyer is unrepresented in the transaction.

4 Likes

I like bats and worked with them in Belize. I also killed a bunch of vampire bats feeding on livestock there. I had bats living in my attic. I don’t recommend it.
Stopping their entry into most homes in the US is similar to stopping squirrels. Just not that tough. I still agree with your recommendation to have a professional deal with stopping them and recommend an environmental hygienist or equivalent to clean up the attic which might run into some big bucks. So after I finished explaining all this to a client, there is a high likelihood that they will want the seller to pay for the whole thing, but I will never tell them to “just have the seller do it.”

Lon, your making a great point. What we see and what we recommend is a point of negotiation between the buyer/seller on who wants and pays for what. It’s all negotiable between them and not based on me on my recommendations.

In Ohio I know it’s against the law to kill bats.

There are also certain instances where it is unlawful for bats to be removed.

I’ve found bats a few times and wrote up that live bats were viewed in the attic and areas of bat guano was viewed and may pose a health hazard.

Here’s a good article that expains about what one can do if they have a bat infestation.

2 Likes

Ok you can’t remove bats if they set up a maternity ward in your attic. Is this why we still have MP? Only in the Buckeye State!

2 Likes

I’m waiting for a certain poster to bring up the difference between the NEC and “Ohioism” to debate bats when it comes to home inspecting… :shushing_face:

6 Likes

Is the law, code?
Or is code, the law?
:thinking:

Nevermind.

4 Likes