BIG or NO BIG deal???????

Inspected 2 issues on just the gas kitchen stove.

1. the gas valve to the range was located in the basement not in the same room as the appliance.
  2. the micro wave hood above the stove was not within the recommended measurements that the manufactures stated in their installation manual that was there on property. (what caught my eye was it appeared to be really low)

I am say nothing?
I am to report nothing?
I am to say nothing but just report?
I am to say something and report?

Gas valve not located in the same area as appliance, is this really a concern?? Remember before you answer, we are not code inspectors. Please give me your thoughts, this is 1 situation that was discussed on an inspection as it no big deal, it’s safer to run away from a stove that’s on fire down to the basement to shut off the valve to that appliance, I see their point so what would you do in this situation?

Note the lack of isolation.
Note the lack of clearances.

• Recommend further review to determine compliance with the manufacturers recommendations.

Example:
http://www.whirlpool.com/assets/pdfs/product/ZINSTALL/9762998.pdf

We don’t concern ourselves with right or wrong, good or bad. We report what is there based on our own general knowledge and our opinions.

That’s what our report is–our opinions.

By not reporting the valve should be in the same area as the appliance, you could be liable for not telling the client so.

The fact that you wondered about the issues indicates to me that you are aware that something is not quite as it had ought to be. Report it.

If it makes no difference to the client…you have done your job–go home, open a cold one, sit back and watch the Tournament.

I fully concur with Jae’s assessment! :smiley:

I have yet to see a gas valve located in the kitchen where access was not blocked by the range, unless it was a built in rangetop. Has anyone seen an unblocked valve? Any photos?

Thanks,

Jim King

Slide the stove away from the wall–the valve will be accessible in the same room.

It’s a safety thing, being able to control the gas flow while working on/servicing/fixing/repairing the stove.

Thanks, Jae. That must be the accepted interpretation of access, since that is the way I always see them. It had just seemed to me that “Do not block access to the valve” would exclude putting a large heavy object, like a stove, in the way.

Jim

The last area I worked in that had gas stoves, the gas valve was required to be 32" above the floor level behind the stove for accessibility.

Fortunately, life is easier now. Only electric here! :smiley:

Yeah, but I can still cook in a power outage. :wink:

Corn Flakes don’t count !!! :wink: :smiley: :twisted:

Jae you stated:
We don’t concern ourselves with right or wrong, good or bad. We report what is there based on our own general knowledge and our opinions.

That’s what our report is–our opinions.

By not reporting the valve should be in the same area as the appliance, you could be liable for not telling the client so.

The fact that you wondered about the issues indicates to me that you are aware that something is not quite as it had ought to be. Report it.

If it makes no difference to the client…you have done your job–go home, open a cold one, sit back and watch the Tournament.

This is what I’m talking about, small issues like these 2 examples are not worth stating to the client, just put them in the report. And if they accually read the whole thing then they’ll be informed, and I’ll be covered for at least reporting it. See it’s little issues like the examples I gave you that I’m feeling like we don’t need to verbally inform anyone at time of inspection, because it causes a big situation. Example is you mention something about the gas valve and your client who knows nothing has 50 questions on why it should be there, why it isn’t there, should it be there, should the seller relocate it there, and so on (you get the idea that a small situation, even if you stated it in a non alarming way starts a big discussion that the seller and all the realtors chime in giving their advice on how to just blow it over)
We can find a 1000 things wrong to today’s standards, I’m see that when you see a issue, ask your self is it being used as origanial intended? New safety standards may need be applied but above a gas valve that makes service and or repairs easier??? why start a big situation when there are 1000 other more important things (as the list grows) to state that starts a conversation. I hope you understand what I mean! I’m so confused