Binoculars

Originally Posted By: bstewart
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m new to the business and have been reading the various boards. I have been trying to determine the best binoculars to use for viewing roofs. What kind and power do the rest of you use, if any. The Spectroscope looks OK but I don’t think I’m ready for it. I’m looking for something simple and clear for those roofs you can’t walk and can only view from the ladder or ground.

Any help would be appreciated in this area. icon_question.gif

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Benny,

Welcome to the board and to the business.

Let me preface this by saying that you need to walk any roof you can. I don't walk tile or slate, and I don't recommend wood shingle or shake unless you have been trained on how to walk on them.

That said, I have a pair of 7x50 binoculars in my truck, just in case. They provide a clear view. One problem with binocs is that you are usually viewing the roof from and angle which will not show the detail you need. I don't think you will need them from a ladder at the eaves.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

8X

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

x50 not the 7x50 I previously stated. I also have a backup pair of 7x35, which aren’t very useful. My dumb —.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

The safe way to inspect a roof or chimney:

http://www.nachi.org/spectoscope.htm

Nick

Originally Posted By: pberman

Is that roof cam for real? How much?

Pete

Originally Posted By: Robert Alexander

I agree with bwiley. You need to walk any roof you can. At what point you decide NOT to walk a roof depends of what you feel is safe or not. I use 10x40 binoculars as backup if I have difficulty walking a roof or the pitch is too high.

In either case report what you see AND what you did NOT see due to inaccessability.

Originally Posted By: psabados

Good point Robert

Make it be known, for whatever reason, if a roof can not be safely inspected by walking on it, be sure to include the items and area not visible. Also include why these sections have been excluded.

Make sure your client understands why these areas have been excluded and potential problems.

I carry 8x50 also with a back-up mini 10x25.

Paul