Boilerless radient in-floor heat using tankless water heaters

Wave of the future here and in any state with cold winters that offers sufficient tax incentives.
Closed burner chamber, but there should be a cleanable filter and a manifold installed which can be verified by inspectors according to the rep I spoke with today.

Interesting system.
I currently have forced hot water, baseboard heat, and have thought that if
I add an addition, or retrofit our kitchen, I’d convert to a similar setup using the PEX type plumbing myself.
These seem to be a plumbers dream, considering how flexible they are.
Thanks Kenton. Great to see photos like this.
Steve

Pass the Salsa you are going to need it for all of that spaghetti

Wow, it looks like they should have invested in a Manibloc. That is a mess. How big was the house?

No wonder why the cost of copper is so high.

About 3000 sq ft

I hate to say it but as new as this is to you guys, we’ve been installing these sytems in Canada for a few years now. The “tankless water heater” as you call it is no less than a wall mount High efficient boiler. The rest of the system outside the boiler is standard with most heating systems… but yes I would definatly recommend the installation of a sidestream filter assembly with sight glass. It is a must with any heating system. It will save a fortune in repair bills from clogged or seized pumps due to sediment and debris. Also I would have the system water tested for TDS and ph. Depending on the local water source, corrosion inhibitors may be required. Who wants to pay more money 3 years after having it installed because the piping is corroding?

Almost all of the homes I’ve been doing draw inspections for, have these systems. They’re awesome. I really am impressed with the whole idea and would love to install something similar.

The other thing I’m very impressed with is:http://www.motherearthnews.com/Alternative_Energy/2006-12-01/Build-a-Simple-Solar-Heater

Can be built for $300 and has a 20 year minimum life span.

Filter- is this basically a silt filter like we see on well equipment?

What’s TDS?

What should the PH be?

**TDS= Total Dissolved Solids

PH- Depends on the heat exchanger material - consult mfg. recommendations**

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The pH of water is an indication of how acid or alkaline it is. The scale runs from 0 to 14, with a pH of 7 being neutral. The nearer to 0 the pH value is, the more acidic and, conversely, the nearer the value is to 14, the more alkaline the water.

The corrosion rate of ferrous metals and copper becomes increasingly rapid as the pH falls below 6, and it is therefore important to ensure that all residues of acidic flushing chemicals are removed after power flushing.

**Aluminium** heat exchangers and radiators are prone to corrosion when the pH is less than 6, or above 8.5. **

Copper** is adversely affected when the pH is above 9.5, as may happen when alkaline flushing chemicals or inhibitors are used, or when softened water is used to fill the system.
[/FONT]