Brick Crack

Originally Posted By: julia yang
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This is a thirty years old house and we bought it last year. But couples of days ago, we found out this crack on the wall which made me and my husband quite upset.

The crack start from just under the window. Please see the photoes attached.

Please advise the causes for the crack, is it caused by any kind of settlement? What should we do to fix it up?

Thanks for your attention!

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/2/2903129255_0012.jpg

This is the window...

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/2/2903129255_0031.jpg

This is the house and the window is the one on the left....

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/2/2903129255_0041.jpg

Originally Posted By: rhinck

My first impression is that I do not see any caulking around the window frame. This has let water in and if this is in a cold climate the freezing and thawing could cause this. Not to mention the need to just keep moisture from getting behind the the brick veneer even in a warm climate.

Rick

Originally Posted By: rsmith5

My first impression is you should have had a home inspection before buying. icon_eek.gif How far is the crack going down the wall? If all the way to grade level then it’s probably a footer problem. I have seen flower beds create real problems. The crack going through the brick and not the morter joint rules out shrinkage crack. Hire a structural engineer to evaluate the problem.

Ralph

[quote=“rsmith5”]My first impression is you should have had a home inspection before buying. :shock: How far is the crack going down the wall? If all the way to grade level then it’s probably a footer problem. I have seen flower beds create real problems. The crack going through the brick and not the morter joint rules out shrinkage crack. Hire a structural engineer to evaluate the problem.

Ralph[/quote]

The crack is half meter to the groud now...we didn't notice if there's any crack there before, just found out... :oops:

Thank you all for your advise!!

Originally Posted By: whandley

Hi Julia; The crack appears to be hairline and or slightly larger than

hairline as it travels towards grade. I also think you may have a mechanical cracking issue brought by water intrusion with thermal expansion. Why not contact a masonry contractor first, get their opinion and estimate for repair. The cost for repair maybe less that the inspection cost of a structural engineer. I’m assuming you have no

interior plaster cracks and or floor movement in or about the area in question. Good Luck, let us know what you find out. icon_idea.gif