Builder's Independent Inspector Requirements

I have gotten a rash of requests for new home inspections and was just asked to sign the attached document. What are your comments on item 5? Must Cite Building Codes

Sounds like they don’t want their homes inspected by independent inspectors. Wonder why? :slight_smile:

-Carl

Laugh and tell them you are NOT a code inspector.

They have been doing this for years.
The simple solution is for the potential buyer to threaten to walk as he feels the builder is trying to hide something by imposing requirements not necessary to perform a home inspection.

The other option is to have the buyers attorney draw up an addendum stating that a home inspection will be performed for the buyer, no later than five days after closing and prior to any objects being moved into the home. The builder will repair all items found deficient on the report within 30 days or have to pay outside contractors to perform the repairs.

Either of those two options may allow the inspection to be performed prior to the closing.

Obviously this is designed to be a deterrent for home inspections done on new construction. First of all, you can’t quote code on your inspection…you would have to be ICC certified to do that…get that waived. I like Eric’s approach, but I would add that you should get yourself a WC policy or at least get an exemption if you want to do these.

Some builders insist the roof cannot be walked on & the CB panels not opened.
I have gotten there early & forgot they said I cannot. :wink:

If there is an AC register or outlet that is crooked, paint on the tile floor, etc. do I need to call code? Jeez…

I am working on getting my ICC credits.

Right now I do plan review and developement reports so I figured why not? In reading this document its obvious home inspectors are not wanted and if used must be careful with the language in their report. On another note, why would the report need to refer to the building code? Just a smokescreen to get buyers to waive their rights or to get a HI in trouble if he goes beyond his professional standards.

I think its simple, do the inspection and write up defects as a concern and never tell the homeowner anything beyond the scope of your inspection. I have seen new home defects as I worked as an inspector for a warranty company until I realized they were out to screw people. This was back in the late 80’s and the warranties weren’t worth spit.

Same old behavior by the big builders.

I know inspectors that made a career out of doing nothing but new home inspections. Yes they had to know the codes. The better builders would hire them to inspect instead of waiting for them to come in at a later time and find things wrong.

Perfectly normal for new construction. If you can’t quote codes, don’t bother doing an inspection. Also note that they require Worker’s Comp, not an exemption.

You can quote all the codes you want but if your not ICC approved your working outside your profession, even if you know the IBC by heart.

Just saying I think the wording of the document is meant to discredit the home inspector.

I do believe you need to know the Florida codes in Florida not ICC. If you are going to start code inspections you best get you code inspector’s license, or at least a contractor’s license.

Your right, check the local laws.

I became a 203K consultant because I was a contractor, but I could have lied because there is no test or even a background check.

I now do architectural review and plan review for my city, they did check me out.
For home inspections I took the Internachi test a few years ago and passed but then again I don’t know if its an easy test or not as I had nothing to compare to. Now I am studying for the ICC test just for the hell of it.
I have noticed some of the inspectors I work with know even less than me and I can’t figure out how they passed the test unless its easy?

I think studying and experience are the key to everything and your education is an ongoing thing, you stop when your dead.

To my surprise, home inspectors need to know a lot, I never would have guessed that was the case.

Not perfectly true, most will accept the exemption if you are also willing to sign a waiver, thing is up until recently they weren’t issuing exemptions for LLC home inspection companies, but the law was changed I did get mine this year.

As I see it here is (2) ways around their code stipulatioon…

1). Most code also references the manufacturers installation instructions which if mentioned supersede the code and use the instructions instead.

2). All of the big home builders are also members of the NAHB and subscribe to the Residential Construction Performance Guidelines.

So, between the Florida Building Code, the Manufacturers Installation Instructions, and the Residential Construction Performance Guidelines you should be good to go.

BTW, I don’t list cosmetic items on my report, that is for the walk-thru guy, these inspections aren’t for everyone.