California license

Hi there everyone,
I recently joined InterNACHI and looking forward to being a part of the community and learning a lot from the classes and the other members here.
I live in California and the State will begin licensing in January 2022. I’m wondering what advice people can give to me about doing everything I can prior to the start of licensing so that I could possibly be grandfathered in as a home inspector and not have to spend a lot of time working for someone else and gaining hours of experience that would likely be required to become licensed.
For example, California requires appraiser licensees to work for 2,500 hours under a licensed appraiser in addition to the education requirements before gaining your license. I’d like to avoid this type of situation to gain my inspector license.
Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Shawn

You may want to take advantage of your Education Team at education@internachi.org for specific questions.

1 Like

I’ve already done that, I was looking for some more advice that anyone can offer.

Have you looked over the California section of our forum?

What are you talking about? There is no home inspector’s license in CA.

The last attempt to pass a new California license requirement died in January 2020.

I read that AB 1024 passed just last month.

Actually this month, I think it was in the first week of February

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCompareClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB1024&showamends=false

Right, but look at the bill’s history

01/31/20 Died pursuant to Art. IV, Sec. 10© of the Constitution.

It never passed. It’s not law. It’s dead.

For now.

Until it’s eventually bought up again.

It was the 2nd time in the last 6 years it was proposed that CA license HI, but neither time did the bill pass.

Thanks Ian, I must have misread the vote.

A 2500 hour apprenticeship with an appraiser? That crazy!

1 Like