Calling on the Plumbing Gurus

Originally Posted By: cbuell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have a rather vexing issue with my hot water recirc loop. When the loop is on there isn’t enough hot water for more than an couple of showers. (50 gallon, Dual element electric). When the loop is off there is plenty of hot water after two showers and little if any decrease in temperature (125 degrees). Check valves are properly installed. Replaced both T-stats, dip tube and both elements have proper resistance and there is proper voltage to both elements. Heater is less than 2 years old. Pump is operating properly and pumping in the correct direction. When the recirc loop is on the overall temperature measures around 125 degrees. When the loop is off the overall temp is 130 degrees. (before someone comments on the temps—its high because I am “fiddling” with it). Also, the return of the loop goes to the cold at the top of the tank as opposed to the bottom of the tank, which as I understand it isn’t supposed to matter. Does anyone have any opinions as to what might be wrong?

It is easier to change direction than it is to forget where one has been.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

You lost me when you said the recirculating return goes to the cold at the top of the tank. The cold water actually enters the tank at the bottom thru the dip tube. So it sounds like you are mixing your recirculating heated water with the incoming cold water. In your neck of the woods that cold water is really cold this time of year. The cold water “connection” is located at the top of the tank however the hottest water is stored at the top where it is drawn off when called for. That would account for the drop in temperature and when you use up the water that is stored before the water at the bottom is heated up enough you end up running out of hot water prematurely. Thats my best explanation. Hope you figure it out.

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Charlie…

I don't think there is anything actually "wrong".

In a normal set-up you draw hot water off the top of the tank and, as there is little circulation other than make-up cold being added at the bottom, you get to use most of the tank's capacity.

With a re-circ system the circulation tends to mix the hot and and cold water resulting in a more rapid drop of overall temperature after you have used up a fair amount of the hot water.

Adding to your problem is the much slower recovery rate of an electric heater over a gas one.

I'm no expert on re-circ systems, but I suspect if you want to keep the luxury of the re-circ system with a family that all showers at the same time, you need a larger (or an additional) electric heater, or switch to gas. Or maybe put the re-circ system on a timer to shut off during the peak shower times. There are probably other more exotic solutions too.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: cbuell

Richard,

I had come to the conclusion that you did----I just don’t like it! It just seems like there ought to be someway to make it work without the loses involved.

It is easier to change direction than it is to forget where one has been.