Carbon monoxide detectors required by July 1, 2011.

Although the bill was signed into law in 2010, California residents must have carbon monoxide detectors in their homes as of July 1, 2011. This timeline applies only to single-family homes that have appliances that burn fossil fuels or homes that have attached garages or fireplaces. For all other types of housing, such as apartments and hotels, detectors should be in place as of January 1, 2013. Types of fossil fuels include wood, gas and oil.

Why wait.
This should already be getting called out.
I thought Cal was supposed to be so big on safety.

It has been the law in Illinois. Tell 'em Bob!!!:wink:

Where is my taser, darn it.

I write it up Here in TN now .

Up until recently, it could only be “recommended” as a safety upgrade - now it’s required.

Subsequently, all of my reports now include this statement;

A carbon monoxide detector or CO detector is a device that detects the presence of carbon monoxide (CO) gas in order to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. CO is a colorless and odorless compound produced by incomplete combustion. Beginning January 1, 2011, all existing homes in California must be equipped with carbon monoxide alarms. CA Law requires that an approved carbon monoxide alarm be installed in dwelling units and in sleeping units within which fuel-burning appliances are installed, and in dwelling units that have attached garages. Carbon monoxide alarms and carbon monoxide detectors should be installed on or near the ceiling in the immediate vicinity of fuel burning appliances and other sources of carbon monoxide such as attached garages.

Thanks Jeff. Good narrative.

Free for the taking…

So is it January or July ???

Took : )

Ah Ha

Just giving you a hard time here and asking at the same time.
Do we site code in reports???

Why here but not every issue? :slight_smile:

A detector should not be placed within fifteen feet of heating or cooking appliances or in or near very humid areas such as bathrooms.

Avoid locations that are near heating vents or that can be covered by furniture or draperies. CPSC does not recommend installing CO alarms in kitchens or above fuel-burning appliances.

Installation locations vary by manufacturer. Manufacturers’ recommendations differ to a certain degree based on research conducted with each one’s specific detector. Therefore, make sure to read the provided installation manual for each detector before installing.

When considering where to place a carbon monoxide detector, keep in mind that although carbon monoxide is roughly the same weight as air (carbon monoxide’s specific gravity is 0.9657, as stated by the EPA; the National Resource Council lists the specific gravity of air as one), it may be contained in warm air coming from combustion appliances such as home heating equipment. If this is the case, carbon monoxide will rise with the warmer air.

Bob this is also a law :slight_smile:

California homeowners will be required to install carbon monoxide detectors starting in July 2011 under a bill signed Friday by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger that is aimed at preventing deaths and injuries caused by poisoning from the odorless, colorless gas.

Up to 40 California residents die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to state Sen. Alan Lowenthal (D-Long Beach), whose legislation was signed by the governor.

“SB 183 will help put an end to the senseless deaths and injuries Californians suffer due to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning every year,” said Kevin Nida, president of the California State Firefighters’ Assn.

The California Air Resources Board says an average of 30 to 40 “avoidable deaths” occur in California each year because of unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning. Lowenthal said there also are hundreds of “avoidable” emergency room visits and hospitalizations in the state each year.

The bill requires that alarm devices, which can cost less than $30, to be installed in existing single-family homes that have a fossil-fuel burning appliance, fireplace or attached garage, starting in mid-2011. All other residential units will have to have the detectors in place by Jan. 1, 2013.

In addition to the firefighters association, the legislation also was supported by the California Alarm Assn. and Home Depot.

–Patrick McGreevy in Sacramento

OK, now explain difference between law and code.:wink:

The law went into effect Jan 1 2011. There is a “grace period” for compliance, which ends in July.

“Citing” code is not what I have done. I have no authority to “cite” code or enforce law.

In this case, I am simply “quoting” an applicable law. I am not providing an interpretation.

While they are both “law,” Civil Code and Building Code are not equal.

So if I simply paste IBC or ICC code above every defect is that different than if I print safety alarm/detector law above missing detector comments ?

This statement is included in every report, whether CO detectors are present or not. My reports contain quite a bit of information regarding building codes, civil codes (when applicable) and other important items.

I wouldn’t advise it. Check with your attorney and/or insurance provider.

I agree,however it can be confusing knowing when it is OK to quote.
I bet many of us paste code quotes here and there at times yet we really should not at all.

I really think it depends on the context.

Many inspectors will have code-related statements in their reports regarding GFCI requirements, smoke detector requirements, pool-enclosure requirements, etc. - which (IMHO) is generally acceptable.

It gets out of hand when/if the inspectors report states things like “there are no arc-fault circuit interrupters in the bedroom circuits as required by Section 210.12 of the NEC.”

http://www.ncsl.org/IssuesResearch/EnvironmentandNaturalResources/CarbonMonoxideDetectorsStateStatutes/tabid/13238/Default.aspx#mn