Caterpillar's New S60-First Smartphone With FLIR Thermal Imaging

The FLIR ONE for the iphone 5 is your baby. You look it up and tell us how good it is.
Go ahead and tell us. What are you waiting on? Tell us if the sensors are good or not… tell us what they did with the optics to save money… tell us how the processor works with such poor images. You claim to be so smart and I am a dummy, so tell us. Post some images.

Teach me.

John,

Are you saying that the FLIR ONE is the basis for the new CAT S60? The FLIR ONE is certainly not my baby. Of course I’m sure you will try to impress everyone with your supposed knowledge of all TI equipment won’t you?

Now answer a question if you have the knowledge to and don’t dance around like a child this time. Do you believe that these devices are totally useless as a spot radiometer? I’m certainly not talking about TI but for some unknown reason you have your panties in a bunch and keep trying to point this discussion in that direction. :roll:

Thank you.

We agree… this camera is not for thermal imaging for a professional inspector.

Is this your attempt at saving face? Read my post #16 above as it appears you have a reading comprehension problem! Also if you are going to quote a post then don’t butcher it to fit your needs.

How about answering the question I asked if you are capable of it instead of butchering and modifying posts? :roll:

My post.

Your butcher job of my post!

https://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=124600&stc=1&d=1456637338

JMDumbPost.jpg

JMDumbPost.jpg

JMDumbPost.jpg

http://www.ruggedpcreview.com/mt/archives/2016/02/more_than_the_n.html

Read near the bottom. There are more links if you look.

Resolution = 60x80

This is 400% below the RESNET standard.

Why does the truth seem to upset you?

LOl Someone has their panties in a knot

I actually agree with Emmanuel on this.

There is always a couple of people that are ready to pounce on every post about TI.

We know…its not a “professional grade” camera, that does NOT mean it is not serviceable, it is all about your intent and what you portray. Are you telling me a person like me, who does not advertise any sort of TI, cannot use a device like this or the Flir1 to supplement what I already see?

Kelvin , i have a Ti32 I would likely buy the phone as a standby or for quick checks , I do what i want not what people always tell me . Old age makes you that way . Seen one the other day a customer had work fairly well , not the resolution i have but pulled the same problems we seen .

I agree that this camera is not a “professional grade”.

If one can already “see” a defect, then there is no need to use an infrared camera. What makes the infrared camera unique is it’s ability find hidden defects that cannot be seen with the naked eye.

What happens when a novice decides that this kind of camera provides a means to now tell the public that they provide thermal imaging services? It is the client who is now being deceived, because the inspector wanted to save money on equipment and training.

Also, never forget, that using a 80x60 resolution camera to “verify” defects opens a person up to liability they might think they can escape. It would be just like using a “mold test kit” from walmart and telling the client your not liable for providing a mold inspection. It would indeed harm your business to tell the world that you use a “mold testing kit” from walmart as part of your services. Likewise, this is the same reason inspectors hide that fact that their infrared camera they use on the job is inferior.

When people come on the forum with an opinion that this type of low resolution camera is really “cool”… then I question that opinion because I fear the damage it can do to the unlearned.

If enough people chant it is OK to deceive the client with cheap infrared cameras, it becomes the norm. I have actually talked to many an inspector who have told me they know this kind of camera is deceiving the client, but they need the money that thermal imaging can provide. Please forgive me, but I get disgusted when I hear a man in our industry talk like that. It angers me.

It is sad when a person reaches a certain point that they lose any outrage and nothing is wrong in their eyes, as long as it makes them money.

In the image below, the 80x60 infrared camera could not SEE the moisture on the right side of the image. The moisture was coming from two different sources. The little white outline does nothing to help the camera SEE hidden defects. Why trust in a camera like this for anything? I just want to help people make the right choices. I do not sell cameras. Thanks to William Misegades for the image.

John,

I’ve asked you a simple question. Is there a reason you refuse to answer it? I will even repeat it here for you.

In your opinion do you feel that this new CAT S60 is useless as a replacement for a simple spot radiometer?

Now I will throw in one more question for you.

If you feel that the CAT S60 is useless as a replacement for a simple spot radiometer then why?

All you are doing is regurgitating your “Save the world” speeches so far. How about your actual answer on these questions? And don’t bother with the childish games of pointing to any specifications since the question is YOUR OPINION WITH SPECIFICS and not specifications of the device.

Something interesting to note about the CAT phone is that it’s FLIR camera app seems to show a live thermal range / pallete bar on the right.

http://puu.sh/npspb/b7006b646c.jpg

This is a major feature that is lacking from the stock FLIR One app.

Also added over a FLIR One is the bounding box min/max function.

http://puu.sh/npsuU/e58916b038.jpg

Sorry for the small image but you can see the option to specify a circle or box to measure in (stock FLIR One only does single point measurement).

Just found some higher quality examples in this FLIR video;

These are all features missing from the FLIR One (at least in live preview mode. Of course these measurements can be added later by editing the radiometric JPEG with FLIR Tools), implying this is targeted at a more professional market.

Multiple Spot Measurements;

http://puu.sh/npsGv/be0b433c34.jpg

Time-Lapse;

http://puu.sh/npsKe/0904d280b1.jpg

Resizable & repositionable region of interest / min max binding box;

http://puu.sh/npsLc/c959592bec.jpg

Min / Max measurements;

http://puu.sh/npsNG/a0f86a3ced.jpg

If you want to use this 80x60 infrared camera for a radiometer or for talking with aliens, I really don’t mind. It will not work for a infrared building inspection by a professional inspector. The core of the unit is the same as the FLIR ONE. I have said this already. Adding extra features does not change it’s lack of resolution.

Some think this will give them a cheap way to offer thermal imaging services. That is my concern. Do you agree?

John,

Nobody asked for your permission to use the CAT S60 for anything. What I did ask are two specific questions which I will repeat for you here.

In your opinion do you feel that this new CAT S60 is useless as a replacement for a simple spot radiometer?

If you feel that the CAT S60 is useless as a replacement for a simple spot radiometer then why?

Why are you having such a problem answering the questions?

I don’t care about the radiometer.
I care about people being informed about TI.

Rhetorical questions are condescending

With all the photos and features you posted I
can tell you are promoting this camera as
more than a radiometer.

Like I said before, please buy this camera.

BTW, get some training.

John,

Again you are acting like a child. Are you calling your own opinions “rhetorical”? I have asked a very simple question from a person who claims to have a great deal of knowledge of these devices. Is there a reason you refuse to answer and instead dance around the questions? How are the masses to learn from you if you refuse to answer simple questions regarding your opinion on this device?

You pretend that all you will use the camera for is a
radiometer and then post huge photos of all the other features. This does not seem honest.

Since you have little training then I understand your ploy. Demanding answers to questions you already know is an old game to redeem your ego.

State your position and drop all the drama.

John,

I get it. You’re on drugs, have dementia, can’t see very well, have reading comprehension problems, or some other significant impairment? You are quoting my post but making statements about another person’s posts as if they are mine. How about answering the questions which I will provide to you again so you can clearly see they are from me.

**If you feel that the CAT S60 is useless as a replacement for a simple spot radiometer then why?

https://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=124882&stc=1&d=1456834110

JohnOnDrugs.jpg

OK you did not post the photos.
My mistake.

The specs on this camera make it a poor choice as a radiometer. But I doubt that you really care. The early Flir One is a poor choice. There are better.

http://cvs.flir.com/lepton-data-brief?_ga=1.220478360.1093425511.1444742585

Also

What kind of training do you have in IR?

John,

Been real busy but I’m back.

Let’s start with the article you are quoting from. Here is another quote that you apparently are not comprehending.

This article is intended to compare the FLIR One with the higher end imagers and not a simple spot radiometer. The quote you took and underlined with the link to the article is relative to the intent of the article. So that leads to three additional questions since you are quoting an article that is expected to have performed at least some testing and comparison of the FLIR One with other higher end imagers.

**Do you create your own opinions or just parrot another person’s opinion without bothering to consider the circumstances their opinion was made under?

How does the article and quote you are providing become relative of the FLIR One compared to a simple spot radiometer?

You are claiming the CAT S60 is just another FLIR One type imager and keep resorting to this assertion. Since this line of questioning does not deal with comparing the CAT S60 to a higher end imager then have you actually done your own tests and comparisons of the FLIR One against a simple spot radiometer?**

Next you still are dancing around, like a little ballerina, the initial questions I asked. Instead of providing your supposedly educated opinion instead you post the specifications for the Lepton module. The only question you may have answered is the first one.

Apparently you think it is but are unable to describe why. Instead you regurgitate a review that was meant to compare the FLIR One with higher end imagers. If the second question was not clear I’ll reword it for you here.

If you feel that the CAT S60 is useless as a replacement for a simple spot radiometer then specifically why and please provide your opinions based on fact found in documentation for the devices?

You refuse to see the use for any of these low end devices outside of actual thermal imaging. You have continually tried to save the world from their use for anything other than paperweights. So how about providing us your astute technical opinion why they are so useless for applications outside of actual thermal imaging?

https://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=125311&stc=1&d=1457063375