CCST, lightning

Lightning striking again…and again and again

So does that article mean csst doesn’t need to be grounded or bonded?

http://www.csstsafety.com/Images/CSST-Direct-Bonding-Tech-Bulletin.pdf

I’m assuming they mistakingly left out the word NOT.

“However, the city says a lot of the problems it sees are lines that are (Not) bonded and grounded because those who installed them didn’t get a city permit. The Payettes say their lines were installed by the home builder.”

No, it most definitely needs to be but I rarely see it done.
Here is one example of it being done correctly.

P1020493.jpg

A little followup, this thread made me touch base with a client from some months back.
Large house with a lot of CSST. Was installed by our local utility co. and inspected by Baltimore County inspectors. I called it out for lack of bonding and everyone thought I was nuts.

Turns out I was right!

I think CSST bonding is one of those things that falls in the gaps between trades so it’s often missed. Gasfitters install the piping but then an electrician has to do the bonding.

Tom,
I agree, but sometimes it may be installed and we just don’t know where. Even if I can’t find it, I call out lack of bond.

Is that #4 AL ?

If not it is not correct.

I agree thats possible but usually it should be at the manifold and that should be visible.

Show your source please.

Sure

http://www.csstsafety.com/Images/CSST-Direct-Bonding-Tech-Bulletin.pdf

Yup already seen that. It says “or equivalent”.

#4 AL is equivalent.

How to Convert From Copper to Aluminum Conductors

Ampacities based upon Table 310-16 of the National Electrical Code.

A commonly used rule-of-thumb for converting the two conductor metals is to have aluminum two AWG sizes larger than copper for equivalency. This works in most cases when one is working inside the American Wire Gage system. One example where the two AWG size rule may not be appropriate is for a 90 ampere circuit which could be served with 75°C rated conductors (provided equipment is so marked). From NEC Table 310-16, the selection could be a No. 3 AWG copper or No. 2 aluminum conductor provided voltage drop is not a factor. Also, with conductor sizes 250 kcmil and larger we are no longer in the American Wire Gage system; therefore, the two AWG size rule can no longer apply.

The technically correct way to make these conversions is to select an equivalent or higher ampacity rating while maintaining the same conductor temperature rating. For example, replace a No. 6 AWG, copper, type TW conductor with an aluminum conductor. Table 310-16 lists the ampacity of No. 6 copper TW (60°C column) at 55 amperes. Now select an aluminum conductor from the 60°C column that has an ampacity of 55 amperes or higher. A No. 4 aluminum would be used to replace the No. 6 copper TW conductor. This aluminum conductor does not have to be type TW, it could have a higher temperature designation such as THW or THHN; however, the ampacity must be based upon a 60°C rated conductor.

Notice that a No. 6 aluminum type THHN conductor has an ampacity rating of 60 amperes which is higher than the 55 ampere rating for No. 6 copper TW. It may seem logical that No. 6 aluminum THHN could replace No. 6 copper TW based upon the ampacity rating alone; however, it is not correct. Difference in voltage drop is one consideration opposing a size-for-size replacement but the main reason lies with equipment ratings. A conductor must terminate at the equipment it serves and this equipment is tested and listed with definite conductor types. Equipment rated 100 amperes or less is tested and listed for use with 60°C rated conductors unless marked otherwise and to connect a conductor to be used at 90°C ampacity effectively voids the listing. It would also violate section 110-3 (b) of the NEC because this section states that equipment shall be installed according to any instructions in the listing or labeling. To repeat, always make conversions from aluminum to copper or copper to aluminium by selecting equivalent or large ampacity while maintaining the same conductor temperature rating.

Hence why I asked if that was #4

Are you backtracking or confused?

Oh Jeez Michael, you don’t even understand what you said or asked.
It’s pretty much pointless trying to communicate with you.

Oh jeez Twit. You said what you said.

I commented that unless it was #4 AL it was wrong.

You next demanded my source.

You never stated what size it was.

Stop your whining.

I was being accurate and helpful.

What were you being besides butt hurt?

Not bad it only took 16 minutes. You are almost there Michael.

Any inspector who spends 16 minutes with me will learn more accurate information than one who spends a year with you.

What a putz.