Ceiling water damage pattern

Hey all. What do you think could have caused this water damage? Is there likely to be mould behind it?

Thanks.

Morning, Jess.
Personally, I do not think the small randomly distributed roundish or circular stains on the molding and ceiling are damage. I refer to this type of dark rings as staining.

Did you take any type of atmospheric or material readings? The first reading I would have conducted would have been a moisture reading of the material in question. Second, ambient air relative humidity and temperature. Thirdly, infrared thermograms of the objects surfaces.

“Condensation?” During cold weather, is a common performance problem
Condensation inside walls. Condensation inside walls occurs when there are large temperature difference between the inside and the outside of the home.

My thought. Water or liquid under compression, in a vessel or hose, leaked out and was projected onto the moldings and ceiling.

Agreed… looks like it came from inside the house rather than outside but as HIs we aren’t psychic :slight_smile:

I’d probably write it up as staining from an unknown source and recommend inquiring with the seller about the cause or performing some further investigation. I realize in ways that’s kind of passing the buck but we really can’t explain everything that’s happened in a house before we get there.

1 Like

Tell us what we’re looking at here?
Where is this located?
What do you suspect the concern is from?
To me, what little you are showing, looks to be from shower spray and/or steam in a Master Bathroom.
How about posting the full photo it was cropped from?

3 Likes

This is like, “Can you tell me what the dress looks like from this photo?” A bit more context is needed, please.

3 Likes

Clearly it is (or was) a frat house and they were doing keg stands. Things got outta control.

1 Like

Did you look at it with a black light? It might be organic in nature, frat boys and their circle jerks come to mind.

1 Like

That is a curious pattern and I agree with other comments that context will help.

Definitely looks like splash or condensation. Not from the roof.

1 Like

It kinda looks like nicotine?

2 Likes