Change in Code for Water Heater Pans

Originally Posted By: charper
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Georgia State Amendment.

Georgia has revised section 504.7 to read as follows. “A pan is NOT required when the water heater is located on a concrete floor or a wood floor covered with vinyl or tile flooring”. Is this crazy or what? Seems to me that if a water heater is in an attic it can be on a piece of vinyl and a pan is not required.

Am I right or wrong?

Charlie

--
Charlie

www.HomeInspectionGa.com

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Charley,

You are correct.

When I find a W/H in a living area (or attic, as you say), I simply inform my clients to have a secondary pan installed when the water heater is replaced.

Code or not, water heaters that are able to destroy living areas when they fail, require secondary pans.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: roconnor

that is covered with vinyl or tile … not a section of covered floor or just a piece of vinyl under a WH (I wouldn’t buy that wearing my AHJ hat). It would be pretty unusual for an entire attic floor to be covered with plywood and tile to avoid installing a WH pan … icon_eek.gif … Call your local building inspector for how that wording is applied if they did also amend the residential code.

Just my opinion and 2-nickels ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong