Water Heater

Originally Posted By: berby
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi guys, I have a question. I did a home inspection today, the water heater was in the laundry room. The room was just off of the kitchen. The house is on a slab. I thought if a water heater is installed in a living space that it had to have a pan under it with a drain line. The agent call someone and they told her if the floor is concrete and not wood, you don’t have to have one. The floor is tile. I told the buyer that I would check with you all on how I should write it up. But I told her I would want to have one because if it goes out when shes at work or out of town, she is going to have a mess.

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Where water heaters or hot water storage tanks are installed in locations where leakage of the tanks or connections will cause damage, the tank or water heater shall be installed in a galvanized steel pan having a minimum thickness of 24 gage (0.016") (0.4 mm) or other pans for such use. Listed pans shall comply with CSA LC3.

It also goes on to say the pan will be drained by an indirect waste pipe having a minimum diameter of 3/4". I always write up 2nd floor or attic water heaters that do not have pans or have damaged pans. It’s a judgment call on 1st floor heaters, i.e. is there really a risk of collateral damage from a leak? If so, then write it up. BTW, the 2003 IRC may or may not be applicable to your area. You need to know what your state/AHJ has adopted.

Originally Posted By: berby

Thanks Boyett for your reply.

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

Good info Michael, as of late I note all water heater pans or lack thereof. I do not defect out if it is not needed, but note it’s absence in the report.