Charcoal, E-Perm, CRM or Other?

Originally Posted By: jremas
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Ok, I bet this is going to cause some arguments, but what the heck. What is the personal preference for Radon testing? What is suppose to be the best for the client? Which one is a BS test (if any). Personally, I sub this out to someone who used CRMs. Because of this, I am biased and prefer the CRM. I have an example to share: A CRM was placed in a raised ranch with a basement. The next day, the listing agent (broker-owner of the agency) decided to go into the home and open up all of the windows in the home. The CRM showed a small climb then leveled off until the day the broker opened up the windows, at which point the levels shot up dramatically. When the test was done, the final level was a 5.7 and failed the home. This broker caused the failure by trying to vent the home, causing a negative pressure in the unvented basement. A few months later, the home was retested with the CRM and passed with a 3.1. If it was not for the CRM, we would never have been clued in that the levels started going up at a super quick pace. Let’s not talk about the idiot broker, just about the method of testing.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

deleted

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

deleted

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: mhenderson

I am rated for secondary radon measurement (deployment & retrieval) & feel this is adequate.Primary testing(calculating results)is a lot of work & involves the use of the CRM ,calibating of the monitor to a company to check it to see if it is accuate & within specs, sending test samples a few times each year and my re-testing to see if Im following procedures correctly..thats alot of work for just wanting to suppliment my income…Charcoal is the best & easiest way …for me anyways…E-perms are great too a little more expensive;however, you can use them more than once.When radon scars these e-perms it leaves a mark on the film.You count the number of scars & calculate your PcL(labs part anyhow) & next time you use them you start with number you left off at…theres alot of great stuff on these boards from a lot more expierenced inspectors than me,Im glad you guys put stuff up here ,it makes me think about the way I do things and if there is a better & easier way!!! thanx everyone

Mike H icon_lol.gif

Eagle I Home Inspection Services,L.L.C.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Mr. Hagarty,

Since you are placing yourself in the position to be the lab, have your results ever been challanged? How did they handle it, like the property was retested by someone else? What were the findings?

Joe Myers

BTW...I use the charcoal canisters because I don't want anyone to say I am biased (toward my client) since I am also reading the results.