The house had an attached sun room. The sun room had the same roof as the house. The sun room had a brick coal grill with a chimney. Does that chimney need to meet the same codes as if it were serving a wood burning fireplace?
Yes… there are two differentiating fuels… Solid (including Gel and non-vaporizing liquids) and Liquid (gas).
Ok thanks.
Jeff, what exactly is this above;
And by liquid gas, you mean Propane? ![]()
Yes,
Gases such as propane (LPG) that are delivered to the fixture as a liquid, but burned as a gas. NG is also included in this category.
A non-vaporizing liquid would be such as alchohol… very common in century homes in my area, typically in homes for the elite/wealthy. Burns such as gel, without being pressurized/vaporized and burned as a gas. On first view they appear as an ordinary solid fuel burning fireplace. On closer inspection, there is a metal tray that pulls out revealing the cavity where the alcohol is stored for combustion. I know I have a pic somewhere. If I can find one in the next day or two, I’ll be sure to post it.
Wow never heard of alcohol being used. I will have to look that up later
Gel is the modern replacement for the old liquid alcohol… much safer! ![]()
http://www.northlineexpress.com/fireplace-hearth/fireplace-accessories/gel-fuel.html
Well, I would not think that gel fuel would need a chimney other than a Poo Poo Platter at a Chinese Restaurant. 
Perhaps it is different in your jurisdiction, but in mine, it is considered a solid fuel, thus it is required to have a flue as such.
Don’t know about the Poo-Poo Platter! A local favorite??? :shock:![]()
I spelled it wrong. Sorry.
Pu-Pu Platter.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/10/Pupuplatter.jpg/800px-Pupuplatter.jpg
Dam, now I am hungry again. :mrgreen:
I used to order a Pu Pu platter at Yangs in St. Paul MN.
It would come to your table with a gel fuel fired Hibachi to grille the goodies on.
It was fantastic.
Enter Fire Marshall who would no longer ALLOW them to serve it that way.
I ordered it once after that. Not any where near as good or fun.
Too much government for me.
Ahhhh. Thanks Mike. Now I understand Marcels connection!
Have you been to David Fong’s in South Minneapolis? IMO the best Chinese this side of Chicago! 
We need to “do lunch” there sometime!
Sounds great. I look forward to it.
I’m bound to be up that way in the next few weeks. I’ll give you a call. ![]()
Juan, are you talking about a charcoal grill for cooking?
I cannot imagine that being allowed inside a living area in Fort Pierce, FL…
Yes it was a charcoal grill for cooking. It was in a sunroom.
Juan, why even care about a chimney?
Isn’t the far more important issue what the f u c k is a charcoal grill doing installed inside a living space!?!
With all the proper precautions taken, I have no issue with it. Charcoal is just charred wood! ![]()
Btw… not everyone uses “fluid” to light their charcoal. In fact, it is outlawed in many areas! Get with the times buddy-boy!! :mrgreen:
Pete please elaborate. I don’t see the problem. It was built as a fireplace with a little rack installed. They were obviously using it for charcoal grilling. What is the problem?
