Clearance above gas stove

Good morning. I read these forums all of the time and thanks for the great info over the years. I had an inspection yesterday and the clearance above a gas stove was only 14” from base of burner to the bottom of the microwave. I have never seen one that close and appears to be an issue for many reasons, but I have not been able to find anything that gives a specific clearance.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks a lot and you all have a great week!!

1 Like

Check the installation manual for the microwave. From there you can recommend anything you “feel” makes sense. My pots won’t fit in 14 inch space let alone allow me to open the lid to check on the food goodness.

I believe it’s 30 inches in the international Residential code for combustible materials. Installation shall not interfere with operation of the appliance. If you feel the microwave is installed too closely to the cooktop call it out.

2 Likes

Well, if the micro wave goes out, you can heat things in it from the stove below.

4 Likes

Almost all OTR micro’s list the clearance requirement between the upper cabinet and the range top. And that is typically listed as 30 inches.
They don’t state the minimum distance between the micro and the range top.

As has been posted, look up the specs for the actual appliance in question.

1 Like

If my spaghetti pot don’t fit, there’s gonna be hell to pay. Just sayin’!!

1 Like

According to the National Kitchen and Bath Association, the bottom of the microwave should be no higher than 54 inches above the floor, which would allow for 18 inches of clearance between the microwave and the typical cooktop height of 36 inches.
https://homex.com/ask/how-high-should-a-microwave-be-above-a-gas-range

Here is one for electric tops.

DSCN0358

4 Likes

This is from a Samsung manual. Measure from the cooking surface.

4 Likes

It does vary +/- 1" on microwave type, but most are no higher than the bottom of the upper cabinets which is 18" above the countertop.

1 Like

I’ve always used IRC M1503.2.1 in which it states 24 inches.

BUT… an “Open-top Broiler” is not the same as a “Range”!

1503.1 - Exhaust Hood for Domestic Cooking Equipent.pdf (128.4 KB)

4 Likes

Very helpful thanks! I was looking for something like this when I questioned it the first time.

In this case the allowable clearance is dependent on the listing of the microwave. So while it appears low…and the low clearance is inconvenient…possibly unsafe… the listing (microwave installation instructions) may allow it.

This is from GE’s website:
Over the Range Microwaves and Advantium Ovens:

Over the range microwaves and Advantium ovens require a minimum 66" mounting height from the floor to top of the unit. The 66" from the floor dimension will allow approximately 13" between the cooktop surface below and the bottom, front of the microwave.

All current over the range microwaves and Advantium ovens can be installed over gas cooking products up to and including 5 burner stoves. As long as the 66" minimum from the floor to the top of the unit is followed there will be no performance or warranty concerns.

Note: Over-the-range microwaves and Advantiums should not be installed above any gas range or cooktop that has a combined BTU rating over 60,000 BTUs, not including the oven/broiler BTUs.

3 Sources … Read your CodeCheck; Read your IRC Code Book; Google the Mfg Installation Manual

All will tell you what you’re asking, then you’ll how to find this next time

2 Likes

Anybody have one of these handy to measure?

We had one of these growing up in the late 60’s - early 70’s and never had issues of any kind.

1 Like