Clipped Grounds

Originally Posted By: sam jones
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Dennis: As for the stickers they should be in place by the person who installs the gfci. What you said in your post has no bearing on what I said. It was not you who opened the door on hI labeling. You got a little defensive. As for emt, for 90 degree bends mark and bend at the star.

For offsets, double it and bend at 30 degrees. Now all the HI’s know and you dont have to tell us lowly homeless inspectors how to bend conduit.

When I inspect a house and there is an electrical safety issue I may choose right then and there to correct it depending on the time it would take, and at no charge. I make that call. If I want to label something I will.

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

Lets do a few saddles or concentric bends shall we?? First I IN no way said you guys need to label a thing…I said…it should be labeled no egc…if you would not have taken what I said out of context we be talking about more constructive things.

Now what if you need a 45 degree bend....or you are doing back to back 90's....where do you bend it then? Wht if I provide a hickey instead of a bender...then what? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Let me get this straight...a HI is repairing electrical? Is that legal?

Lowly HI's?? Well I surely never said that....hmmm someone is starting s*** at my expense I think.

I don't pay by the foot...I pay by the hour so if it takes you all day to run 50' of 1" rigid or two hours to do it....you still make the prevailing wage I offer. Good deal huh? Electricians get paid more than any other trade....that's cuz we can die at any given point if not careful. So for those HI's saying they will fix electrical in a house...just remember you could die if you don't know what you are doing....or you could cause others to die if you wire something wrong....just a word of caution....stick to HI'ing...leave the sparky stuff to the sparkies....why make yourself liable for something you have no business touching?

I have to wonder about this field....the posts I see are so contradictory at times....and so varied in opinion....there does not seem to be ANY real standardss across the board for a HI. More or less do as you please kind of stuff....some won't touch anything electrical while some...wil fix it as well as touch it.....some will do load calcs where others will guess at it or just turn it over to those more qualified.....I kind of like the ones that keep to their field and just recommend sparky....they seem to be the most level headed HI's out there....also the ones that seem to be successful in their chosen career of Home Inspection.....if a HI is a ex sparky I can see them fixing something...I would probably do the same....but I would not do it for free....and I'd make darn sure my license is active as well before I fix anything electrical....most will tell you that the liability is high in regards to this....but then....I'm not a HI and a small handfull here has convinced me that HI is not where I want to be....Depending on where you go....and who you talk to....you can get a wide variety of responses as to the scope for a HI....

At least electrical has rules to abide by....the do's and don'ts...it's called the NEC....and to it I must abide by it....I just can't do as I want to....I could get sued....so where is the HI code? One will tell ya...I will fix the electrical problem where 100 others will question that Hi for doing such...or will just basically say....NO WAY am I gonna fix anything electrical.....not in my scope as a HI?!! So where is a code of standards that fits all HI's? As I found out...from some here and from reading so very many posts....there is none...!!

So excuse my..."sparky" humor....but if anyone is really interested in bending pipe......I'd teach ya...not that hard and I am certain many could do it....if I made it sound as if you guys were "lowly"...well I apologize....but it was meant as a joke and surely not to degrade anyone as it appears is the case by the replies I received. And just one more thing....I cannot express this more....if you are a HI....stick to doing home inspections....and leave the electrical repairs to a sparky. If you are not qualified to do such....or have a license to do such....and something happens and mr new homeowner finds out you as a HI repaired something electrical....!!!!!! Well it's your business....not mine.

--
This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Dennis,

I do have to agree with you, I will leave the sparkying to the sparkies. Too much liability for me, I like my business. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

[This message has been edited by Brian Hannigan (edited November 05, 2003).]

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Well said, Dennis…

Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: sam jones

Dennis:

In my state of Ill, we are licensed by the state, not by an organization like Nachi, and we do have a code of ethics just like any licensed trade. I can lose my license if I do not comply just like you. Nachi is a good organization of course, dont get me wrong. I like it and the sharing of knowledge on this forum. I also visit Ray Kies electrical forum, a very good one to. Some of the home inspectors in my state are licensed electricians also. This gives great flexability in their inspections, and some even advertise this fact and I suppose it brings in more business. The sellers of their home like it also, and so do the buyers. Lets say I inspect a house and I discover that the service entrance panel is not bonded. This of course can be rectified before I leave and buyers and sellers and lawyers wont be worrying about having to get it fixed. My only problem with this is that an unsrupilous HI could cheat and invent uneeded work. This would be a conflict of interest in by view. I dont charge anything for that reason. I inspect my houses just like their my own. And your right , if you do not have the proper training and an electrical license, dont touch a thing, refer to licensed electrician.

Samuel C. Jones Licensed, Bonded and insured

State of Ill. HI license #050.0000978

Electrical License # 039978

These are what our licenses look like in my state.
And by the way, concentrics with intermediate are fun arent they?
And hickeys or saddles are tricky to. I have trouble with them sometimes.

Sam

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

Sam,

Well I was just pokin fun with the emt thing. I do know for a fact though that a ESI in this state, has to be certified from the state and is not allowed to do any type of electrical work purely due to the fact that he can generate work that may or may not be needed. A HI in Ohio though, cannot do any type of electrical safety inspections unless he is certified to do such. However, to do any home inspections, presently there are no requiremants to be met or any certification required.

Dennis A. Bozek

State License #31668

Licensed, Bonded and Insured

Active status

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.