CMI logo chosen.

http://www.nachi.org/cmilogochosen.htm

CMI Committee
cmigroupof5a.jpg

The CMI (Certified Master Inspector) Designation was met with concern. The development stage was completed. Joe Farsetta announced it would be voluntary. NACHI staff has published details in the last quarterly newsletter. The CMI Committee met over multiple days and put together an outline for a potential CMI Program.

It will up to the NACHI Staff to determine those who qualify to meet the guidelines for the CMI. The CMI will be discussed at the National Convention.

Fantastic. Very nice job by all of you.

Well at least there are some actual home inspectors on the Cerified Master Inspector committee. (insert here a smilie of head looking down and shaking in disbelief)

:shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

:wink:

:wink:

That’s a nice. :cool:

Bill,
Nice job!

Tom

Excellent! We have no idea what it is, how to obtain it, or how it will polarize the membership…BUT WE HAVE A LOGO!!!

Maybe my problem is I haven’t created a Strategic Organizational Plan logo! If I did, perhaps THAT would make it a reality…

Joe M.,

The program will not polarize the association. It is intended to be a benefit for our members, and will be legitimately obtainable. It will entail a minimum requirement for participation in the program, where those below a range or time and inspections will fall short of the minimum criteria, and those who fall above a higher threshold will only need to take an exam.

It is an external designation, and shall not be used at the chapter or national level as a distinguishing factor among the membership. In essence, it is “outward” facing.

I was asked a question the other day as to what percentage of inspectors who wish to participate do I believe will obtain the designation. My goal is for all NACHI inspectors who qualify to be eligible for a CMI designation. This aint the ole’ boy’s network. This is intended to be available to all. If you want it, you can achieve it. You can be proud of it.

It is a good program, and the goal is for it to serve as both a professional designation and a source of continuing education. I think it is going to be well received, regardless of whether you embrace the designation or not. Hopefully, even those who will be exempt from the training portion, will think about using the venue as an opportunity to maintain their required 24 hours of annually required CEUs for NACHI membership.

More to come. We are working on a points system, whereby those who fall slightly short of the minimum requirement can gain points based on ongoing participation at various levels in the organization. Kind of like points on a civil service exam for veterans.

Great Post Joe:

As was stated by Nick on several postings, all the information will be fully addressed on or before the National Convention.

I look forward to working with you on this project. I believe many NACHI members will consider this a value added benefit and a great marketing tool. In New York, many NACHI members are eager to apply for the designation.

2 Regional lenders in New York are currently hiring Home Inspectors, and one of their questions is “Are you a designated inspector?” I am sure that has influence as to the determination of the Inspectors approval status.

I am glad the process is evolving, without being so difficult, it would not have be achievable by the hard working members of NACHI.

Respectfully Submitted,

Bill C. Merrell, NYS Licensed Home Inspector Instructor

Joe F.,

It isn’t the internal mechanisms that worry me with creating a"class" system of inspectors. The external appearance is precisely what concerns me.

I have no idea if or when I will qualify for this ‘designition’ (the details I last saw indicated 1000 inspections).

But I do know this:it is of absolutely no use to me if I can’t market it. And what is the most effective way to market it? “Make sure your inspector is a Certified MASTER Inspector - not some clueless rookie with a flashlight. Let the experience and wisdom of a MASTER Inspector protect YOUR investment.”

Makes anyone without the CMI tag look like a rookie. It can’t help but be devisive and polarizing - that’s what labels do. They divide us into haves and have-nots, naughty and nice, CMI and not good enough.

I know mine is the minority opinion on this, but if this is to have any teeth or merit at all it will be relatively hard to attain, meaning that there will be some haves and many have-nots.

And I, for one, would not blame those who attain this label from using it as a marketing tool to totally bludgeon those that don’t.

I like that logo!!

Hey whats a little class distinction among friends

I feel so “untouchable” :roll:

Is this worksheet part of the requirement? If it is, that’s pretty unsettling. More than half of that list is BS and has nothing to do with being a “Master Inspector”.

http://certifiedhomeinspections.info/

No. These are the requirements http://www.nachi.org/cmirequirements.htm

Things are still a little hard to understand – ie what is the school requirement??

Nick – This whole program is good but at this time it needs some help

What are some of your “gray areas”???

Put it out on the BB and lets see what some of the public “membership” thoughts are

rlb

Does this new CMI labeling mean that someone like myself, new to the business, will be look at as not being qualified? This reminds me of that other organization, ACHI. Hmmmm