Collusion with Real Estate Agents & Home Inspectors

The level of cynicism in that blog post is so high that it brings to mind the old adage: “When we hear Peter talk about Paul, we learn more about Peter than we do about Paul.” I am a thorough inspector (according to my client reviews), but I have a growing list of agents who refer me to their clients. I believe you can do a thorough inspection with integrity and still retain the trust of the agents you work for.

When I was a Realtor, I had a handful of inspectors I would recommend. I never expected anything other than a thorough and honest inspection, and I don’t recall ever having lost a client over an unfavorable inspection. Yes, I lost some deals, but we always went on to find another house that was satisfactory. I had to do a little more work, but I was always able to look myself in the mirror.

I am very glad I read this article, because I will be conducting a class for new agents later this month. My advice will be counter to this article for the following reasons:

-Part of an agent’s fiduciary duty includes helping them find competent and reputable professionals to help them navigate the transaction. This should include Home Inspectors. Lending institutions did far greater damage to the buying public in 2008-2009 than Inspectors, yet agents still refer them. Why not Inspectors?
-Failing to recommend a competent and reputable Home Inspector exposes the client to the risk of hiring based on price alone or falling prey to a gimmick merchant. The result is a substandard inspection and the risk of significant financial and personal hardship for the buyer.
-Having a working relationship with a Home Inspector who is willing share his knowledge results in an educated agent better able to serve his clients, both buyers and sellers.

Maintaining one’s integrity in the face of uncertainty is the true measure of one’s character. I believe there are enough agents out there to whom personal integrity is a high value to create a decent referral base, and I will seek out those people.