Collusion with Real Estate Agents & Home Inspectors

Very Interesting Thanks… Roy

Somewhat ironic that site spends a lot of time offering opinions on collusion between agents and inspectors, yet if you go to the “about us” you find the entire site is run by two agents and two home inspectors who have joined together to promote themselves.

Unbelievable… but true.

…I didn’t see their full names, or the names of their companies, listed other than the fact that they seem to operate out of California. Where do you see them “promoting themselves”?

Well then, they would certainly know all about the subject, wouldn’t they? :razz:

They seem kind of new and some of the blogs are refreshing.

http://www.thehomebuyersadvocate.com/le-blog/

You are in their area, Ian. Maybe you want to give it a go? I mean it’s free advertising, eh? :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

http://www.thehomebuyersadvocate.com/business-directory/

“Agents and Inspectors. Do you think you have what it takes to put the buyer first? Feel free to have your name and company information added to this list. Email us and well see what your internet footprint looks like. If you fit with HBA, you will be added to the directory so all of LA can find you.”

OMG Ian that is too funny. :smiley:

Talking about quick inspections. One of the inspector bloggers did 14,000 inspections in 19 years. That is an average of 736 per year. He must be in and out in a flash.

"DANIEL
Home Inspector or over 19 years

Daniel, is a seasoned Home Inspector, General Contractor and ICC building code enforcement professional. Daniel has been inspecting for over 19 years and has conducted over 14,000 inspections of all types."

Last winter I finished my basement. When I would call for an inspection at certain phases in the process I would ask for a certain day for that inspection. On that day, I would go online and look up the inspection type that I was requesting, i.e. rough framing, rough electrical, etc.

Each code inspector, for their position, would have between 10 and 15 stops to make that day, or so.
So feasibly, one inspector could get 3,750 “inspections” per year at 250 days of work per year.

But that’s a city code inspector, not a private home inspector as the blogger in questions is stating to be.

A phase inspection is not a home inspection.

You may be correct in that is how the person reached their number of “inspections of all types”, but it’s stretching the truth to imply one thing while meaning another.

Yep…stretching…

What? Wind mits and 4-Points aren’t real home inspections??? :shock::sad:

Depends on who you ask…common sense is not a flower that grows in everyone’s garden.

Keep in mind, we’re taking about Los Angeles. Wind mits? Not here.

I’ve never been asked to do a 4-point either, not have I ever heard about or read any my local competitors doing/offering/discussing them. They’re not common here.

Other insurance inspections, yes, I do those too now and then, but I don’t count them as home inspections.

Well, what is a “home inspection”? Contrary to popular belief a home inspection is not “new art”, it is a decades old profession that is performed by many different licensed individuals. For example, a Contractor who comes to your home, performs and “inspection of the home”, and provides you an estimate for repairs is conducting a “home inspection”. A licensed Building Inspector who performs an “inspection” of a “home” is providing a “home inspection”.

It’s not complicated, and it’s not a special practice. Would you consider the “inspection” of a condo unit, which doesn’t include the roof covering, exterior, and site conditions, a “home inspection”? Of course you would. If you are being compensated to perform an “inspection” of a “home", you are in fact performing a “home inspection”. It’s that simple.

My, my, are defensive, aren’t we? Seriously, why do you care about my opinion of some random blog? You’re not even a member of InterNACH.

But, no.

The State of California, where the blogger in question claims to do business, defines a home inspection in
**BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONS CODE - BPC DIVISION 3, CHAPTER 9.3.,

(a) (1)** “Home inspection” is a noninvasive, physical examination, performed for a fee in connection with a transfer, of real property,

It is a defined term.

Further, under California Law 7197(a)(1), as well the the InterNACHI code of Ethics, and the Code of Ethics of all the major Home Inspector associations, a home inspector may NOT perform or offer to perform, for an additional fee, any repairs to a structure on which the inspector, or the inspector’s company, has prepared a home inspection report in the past 12 months.

So a Contractor who comes to your home, performs and “inspection of the home”, and provides you an estimate for repairs is NOT conducting a “home inspection”, because to call is such would be a violation of the law and a violation of the Code of Ethics Home Inspectors vow to uphold.

It’s that simple.

LMAO!

That’s quite possibly the worst response I have ever read. I hope for your sake you never have to defend that position in court.

You forgot something:
*It is the duty of a home inspector who is not licensed as a general contractor, structural pest control operator, or architect, or registered as a professional engineer to conduct a home inspection with the degree of care that a reasonably prudent home inspector would exercise.

Now…I wonder why those other professions are listed…gee, I wonder…

Their blog may be a bit shady but they do have a point. I’ve done numerous inspections where the Realtor is clearly infuriated by the fact that his or her client chose our company instead of the “realtor recommended inspector.”