comments on these joists please

any comments? this is a city rowhome, all brick, approx 100 years old. i have little experience with these types of houses. There has been some recent renovations and the way that these joists barely seem to be hanging on by loose bricks scared me a bit. what do you guys think?

also, is the cap on the waste line on the last picture typical? I don’t think I have seen this before. thanks.

Possibly they were originaly cantilevered, rotted and were replaced.

But they are not properly supported.

I would recommnend repairs by a competent contractor to prevent collapse and possible injuries.

What the joists are sitting on can’t be loose or crumbling. If they are, they need to be supported better.

IMO, I think the waste cap is probably ok. Probably not the best solution, but one that will work, and is easily repaired if it becomes a problem.

What is the bearing surface requirement for a floor joist on the foundation?

How many sides of airspace must a joist have when installed in this manner?

It’s a 100-year-old house. The entire brick wall “is the foundation”.
I have seen many 100 year plus homes that don’t have this good of a support and they are still functional.

I would recommend that you study up on this type of construction as it obviously does not have the same requirements as new construction that we perform today.

It takes a special buyer to own a 100 year plus home, floors and walls are never plumb and square and if they want to remodel, there are special considerations they will have to learn and apply.

You are there to determine the functionality of building not determine its capacity and strength.

This is obviously an upgrade. Recommend the buyer follow-up and ensure proper building permits and inspections were obtained and performed.

[size=2]If you don’t see a specific defect associated with this type of construction, simply report what you see so the client knows what they’re buying.

You’re showing us the end of the joist, there is a lot more to consider outside of this picture.

[size=2]The waste cap was designed specifically for this purpose. What else is associated with it that would make it a defect?

You have two choices; you can glue one on or you can clamp one on. It is not a pressurized system, what more is needed?

[size=2]In the first picture there appears to be a significant deficiency that you have not mentioned.
[/size][/size]
[/size]

thanks for the responses. It’s interesting to note that it is the homeowner is the client in this case. It was mostly gutted and rehabed earlier this year, then rented. The owner said that a relative did most of the work. Much of the work done was very sloppy. Since the renter moved in, there have been problems left and right. so many that he stopped paying the rent. The owner wanted an inspection so that he can have documentation of the condition and functionality of the house so that he may be able to correct things or if has to go through eviction procedures (i’m not sure why the renter didn’t just move out).

David,
The rest of the joist look fine to me, I was just questioning the point of support. I know it is resting on the entire brick foundation, but the point of support in some cases is less than an inch of the joist resting on small crumbling pieces of brick. and to me, that is part of the functionality of the home if the floor above might come crashing down. I know that I don’t have to “Offer an opinion as to the adequacy of any structural system or component”, as per the state of Maryland Minimum SOP, but I like to give mention to something if there MAY be casue for concern. That’s why I posted here to get opinions.

As for the waste cap, I didn’t imply that it was a defect. I said I hadn’t seen that used before and asked if it was, in fact, normal.

This is a defect.

How about the discolored sub-flooring (as well as that white stuff) and what looks like a water drip on the drain pipe? Am I seeing things?

CPVC may not be adequately supported.

Water supply pipe on an outside wall? You are in the cold country.

Few 100 yr old houses have adequate insulation in the walls to begin with. This could be a plus or a bad thing.

yes, you are right. there was water damage throughout the house from some kind of leak.
that water supply is on the side of the house, which borders a connecting (but vacant) house. there is water coming in that wall from the adjoining house. all sorts of goodies.

Oh good!

Get Keith Richardson in there with his camera, who knows what he’d find.

Michael,
The joists don’t have adequate support in the joist pockets.
Here is a good site I found awhile back (with pictures) to show how someone else repaired/ upgraded joist pockets in a gutted row house using steel angle iron etc. Hope it helps.

http://www.pbase.com/1eyeclosed/image/70942268

There should be 3 inches of bearing for a joist or girder in contact with masonry or concrete. Also, the wood should not be in direct contact with masonry or concrete unless it is treated lumber.

“Inadequate brearing where floor joists rest in masonry pockets”.

Not original framing, it’s squirrely.

I wish I would/could have said that they look squirrely in the report. that was exactly what I was thinking

3 inches of bearing required.

They appear to be firecut.

Check for strapping (lateral support) if joist(s) are above first level.