Confusing: do electrical wires run directly from the service panel to branch circuits?

I’m practicing to challenge my two proctored exams and find several of the questions confusing. I can easily confabulate answers to these questions but they just don’t make sense to me. For example, on this page:
Practice Questions - InterNACHI®

I found this question:

Really? It’s not like there’s anything separating the service panel from the branch circuit. I understand that the branch circuit includes the breaker which is in the service panel, but why would it be “wrong” to say “electrical wires run directly from the service panel to branch circuits?” Even if it’s not perfectly accurate? Am I missing something? Is there a reason this is just dead wrong to even think of it this way? Maybe someone got injured because they missunderstood this?

IMO the question could be worded better to convey what they’re actually asking. Here’s the NEC definition of a branch circuit does this help?

Branch Circuit. The circuit conductors between the final overcurrent device protecting the circuit and the outlet(s).

1 Like