Consumer needs timber frame inspector. Someone help her please.

----- Original Message -----
From: Lynette Williams
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 8:43 AM
Subject: Need help

*Dear Sirs:

We have entered into a contract to purchase a timber framed home in
Mitchell County, North Carolina. We have had a conventional inspector
look at the home. There is concern because of timber used in the
framing. It is Poplar that was cut from the property. There is some
bowing & twisting of the beams. We are concerned about the lack of
drying done on the timber and overall construction.

We would like some names of inspectors in this area that are experts in
inspecting timber framed homes.

Thank you for your help.

Lynette Williams*

I own a 175 year old post and beam colonial, it is timber framed but with hemlock and pegged together at the mortise and tenon joints with oak Peg’s. The beams have all twisted and checked over the years but is as sound as the day it was built.

I know, different region and different material but usually when these frames are put together they are very stable.

If it were me buying this structure I would have the framing system inspected by a licensed structural engineer, preferably someone experienced in designing structures utilizing heavy timber framing. If improperly dried lumber was used to frame the structure, there may be issues even seasoned (pun intended!) home inspectors might not be aware of. Of course that won’t be cheap, but buying a home with structural problems wouldn’t be cheap either.

Ted is one, if not the best :smiley: