Cosmetics

When it comes to cosmetics do you note anything? Wall dents, chewed baseboard, patches, repairs. Are cosmetic observations outside the scope of our profession and can be completely omitted?

That is between you and your clients.

I discuss with my clients that I typically do not report on cosmetic issues unless they are significant. I am happy to comment on everyday stuff, but my fee will increase for the additional time involved. Most of my clients agree they can handle the faded paint, carpet stains, nail holes in walls, and damaged shelf liner themselves. I include damaged trim/baseboards etc. as some of these can get pricey to repair/replace.

A slight mention in the report, if they are numerous then for sure to cover me. Dog scratches that may require replacing the door or window in order to fix then that’s a for sure write up. You would be surprised to find a lot of people don’t see that sort of stuff and it can get expensive. 3 weeks ago this house had 7 doors that needed to be replaced along with 3 windows and the clients never saw them due to furniture and what not. How much would that have cost, hmmm I think I have a da mn good idea…:wink:

Great answers. Thank you.

Follow up question: When inspecting finished new construction, how does our job differ from inspecting pre-owned homes? Do we go deeper into cosmetics?

Again, that would be dependent upon your Scope for the inspection as determined by discussion with your Clients beforehand. On new construction, that sort of stuff would typically make it on the Homeowners list for the 11-month inspection/repair list, if it wasn’t taken care of by the builder prior to close.

I don’t really consider all these things purely cosmetic.

Patches and prior repairs in particular could be indicative of a larger problem. And even if they are not, I think it’s wise to make sure the client knows something had happened that had to be fixed.

And even something like chewed baseboards, I think it’s worth mentioning that there is pet damage, just incase the client was either unaware the house had pets, or if they later find additional damage that was not obvious during the inspection.