Crack in foundation block

The text says “may” which is true. Tree roots, etc. could cause a V crack. That being said, I see far more that aren’t heaving related. A very common pattern in my area is to have a downspout overflow at a corner for 30 years and the corner breaks free and settles resulting in a V crack on each side of the corner.

2 Likes

All true but but loosing support at a corner, in my experience, is a more common cause of “V-shaped” cracks. A give away on that is so often, the adjoining walls to the corner are both similarly cracked.

Yup. And if there are windows/openings near the corners, cracks nearly always go to those openings.

Thank you for your input. I do agree with both of your opinions.

| Lon Henderson, CMI lhenderson2 InterNACHI®️ CPI
October 9 |

• | - |

tswartchick:

“A crack that forms a V-shape may indicate heaving.” “An open crack that forms an upside-down V or pyramid shape indicates settlement or drooping in the middle.”

All true but but loosing support at a corner, in my experience, is a more common cause of “V-shaped” cracks. A give away on that is so often, the adjoining walls to the corner are both similarly cracked.

mfellman:

the corner breaks free and settles resulting in a V crack on each side of the corner.

Yup. And if there are windows/openings near the corners, cracks nearly always go to those openings.

1 Like

Yeah, it almost turns into a game - once I find one crack I know there will be another one since, of course, concrete can’t twist. I’ll see them on opposite sides of a corner or even opposite sides of the house where a whole side falls.