Cracked sidewall in lintel

No offense taken, I was asking if anyone knew of a standard by which damages to one of these lintels rendered the product improper for installation. Or if there was an acceptable repair criteria. I agree with your assessment of our function.

That lentil has failed.
The flaw is the bond is incorrect.
The blocks are in an American bond pattern. Common bond same thing ladies.
Now the butt joints lineup in the lentil lead course.
Please excuse the writing on the photo.
The top of the block or brick is the head course. the end is the butt.
The face is the edge or lead.
the butts should never line up on top of one another.as they do here.
Only ladder or stack bond can you do this and a ladder is used atop each course.
When I get things more organized I will be able to help more.

If the starter course ( the bottom of the walls block ) would have been reversed it would have worked out at the lentil.
Its a mason or Junior lead hand that started the lead off wrong. There will be mistakes throughout the calculations of all the openings if it is not caught and corrected by someone without a hangover. HA HA HA.
Some one old school will correct it MAYBE!
Just my opinion…

Forgot the link. Hope it helps.
http://http://www.free-ed.net/sweethaven/bldgconst/masonry/lessonmain.asp?iNum=fra0304

Oh dear Robert, check your spelling, lintel not lentil, lentil is a food, preferably in a soup:)

Mrs.Luuk
Should have not posted when exhausted.
I will be more helpful when I rebuild my masonry background literature.

Brian,
Be sure too post back after you receive the engineers report it should be interesting.

My gut feeling is that the engineer will accept it. Reasoning that the actual concrete that makes up the lintel has very little tensile strength and since this is a filled lintel the rebar that was compromised by the crack is now encased and would be able too accept the loads. If the lintel had been 13 feet or longer the reinforcement is required too be prestressed and then the lintel depicted in the picture would definitely be a tear down.

1# The lintel in the opening is flawed in shape.
2# The bond is wrong at the opening where the lintel is placed.
1#a. The lintel has a piece missing from it. It appears jagged and not smooth surfaced or parallel to any or the lintels edge or face surfaces…
Suspect; It came into contact with a force ( a possible blunt blow when being moved from another object ) and now damaged.
Therefore it can not not sit flush on the CMU below it. The lintel has fractured from the horizontal +lateral forces being excreted upon the short amount lead it has to carry its load on that side of the opening…
Re-bar or no re-bar it is fractured and should be replaced.
The re-bars or metal rod in the cement of a lintel or sill is to give it strength when moving or placing the lintel or sill.
To give the cement an adhesion. Something ( a surface ) to adder to.
IE: If it cracked due to forces or loads ( a piece does not fall off and injure someone.)
So it stays somewhat whole.
The adding of tinsel strength it give the lintel or sill is almost nil in my opinion.
2#a The bond below the lintel on the CMU is also incorrect.
It will have a weakening effect on the opening and the wall will undergo lateral forces. .
No 2 courses of CMU’s or brick butt joint should line up like that.
The butts are almost plumb to each end face or edge
They should be offset.
It creates a weak spot in the walls bond.
Especially a lintel with heavy dead or live loads.
It is just my opinion and should be looked at by a engineer.
I would be curious to see the draft of the writeup.

Robert, Concrete is Beton in French

Cement is Ciment in French

Cement is the ingredient and the finished composition is called Concrete. :mrgreen::wink:

Thanks Marcel.
I will keep digging in.

Well, don’t dig in too deep, wouldn’t want you to get stuck. :mrgreen:

I told the buyer from the getgo when we were going over the findings of the inspection that the enginneer would sign off that it was OK. My report indicated that he should obtain a letter from the engineer of record regarding his assessment of the conditions I reported. I don’t think it is actually a big structural problem but as I explained to the client if you have the letter and it becomes an issue you will have recourse.

Brian

On any item that is obviously damaged just document what you see and report it to your client. If you see something installed and say nothing you are implying your acceptance. If later discovered the contractor will be the first to say “Brian watched us install it and didn’t say anything so we assumed it was OK.” You MUST (IMO) as a construction inspector protect your client and give immediate verbal notice to the contractor when you see something out of place and follow up with your objections in writing. Keep a daily diary and document, document and document some more.

HA HA HA.
No Mr,Cyr or Marcel.
Frustrated again.
Most time on the PC during the day is interrupted until I get some time alone at night. Then I am to tired to think straight. Family values Marcel that’s all.
Also the posts I place on the MB are compared by myself to yours , Mr.Hoaglands, Marc S. and other prominent members. After I am embarrassed by my lack of a fuller narrative to verbalize the proper technical offering.
Henceforth, I will dig deeper.
If I get stuck I will phone CAA to pull me out. I am a gold card member.

Well, Mr Robert, I tried writing back to you in response to your message, may I suggest you don’t write to me again if I am not going to be allowed to respond to you.

Sorry Mrs.Luuk.
I have changed my control panel settings several times this week after seeing that members are locked out of contacting me.
I will contact fast-reply to see if I am doing anything wrong. I
t has never happened before.
I am truly sorry.
I am a transparent member and open to all .