Crawl space size requirement entry

Originally Posted By: lkneeland
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

A crawl space entry was 18" x 31" and the crawl space was 28" high. Is this area considered readily accessible? If not where do I go on the internet to find out the national required definitions acceptable by code? gchi@sbcglobal.net Larry K. Thanks for your input…

Originally Posted By: five.five

18x24 comes to mind, but since seeing the pic on another page titled “it’s that time of year again” reminds me why I won’t do them.

Good luck,

Darren Davenport
Texan Inspection
T.R.E.C.#: 8126

Originally Posted By: whandley

UBC 2306.3 states accessible under-floor areas shall be provided with a minimum 18" x 24" opening unobstructed by pipes, ducts and similar construction. All under-floor access openings shall be effectively screened or covered. Pipes, ducts and other construction shall not interfere with the accessibility to or within the under floor areas.

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

Are there any restrictions based on occupational health and safety standards that apply - to a crawlspace being a restricted space under certain conditions?

Claude in Canada

--
Ontario Home Inspections Inc.

Originally Posted By: away

Larry,

IRC R408.3 matches the UBC section mentioned.

IRC 1305.1.4 requires an opening large enough to remove the largest appliance that is installed in a crawl space but no smaller than 30 high or 22 wide. Which would then supercede R408.3 if the IRC is the code book of choice.

I don't have a UBC so I don't know if there is a corresponding exception for mechanical equipment installed in a crawl space.

--
Andrew Way
Keystone Residential Inspection Services PLLC
www.keystoneinspections.com

Originally Posted By: whandley

I thought Larry was referring to a sub area crawl space, if he was referring to an attic access the correct code would be UBC 1505.1 which states: An attic access opening shall be provided to attics of buildings with combustible ceiling or roof construction: Exception: Attics with a maximum vertical height of less that 30". Continues: The opening shall not be less that 22" x 30" and shall be located in a corridor, hallway or other readily accessible location. Thirty-inch-minimum unobstructed headroom in the attic space shall be provided at or above the access opening. icon_idea.gif