Crawlspace; Wet/Damp - Looks like mold too, opinions?!

Originally Posted By: Mark E M
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi,

Yesterday upon walking thru a home with a Home Insp. all was going fairly well and then we went to enter the crawlspace. The home was built in 1900 and has a few minor additions. The crawlspace is accessed outside via a board. The board was sealed with caulking and once we opened it the first thing the HI said was it is damp/wet and looks to have some fungus, “I am not going in there but lets flashlight it from here and see what we can see.”

The crawlspace has no ventilation. It has no plastic vapor barrier. Could see a few of the posts on the footings have sucked up some moisture about 5-6 inches. Not to mention for 8 + years the Dryer has been vented into the crawlspace. I saw a pile of lint that looks like you can make 3-4 pillows with. Indicating to me there has been a lot of moisture put into this basement.

The HI said you could probably get away with spraying bleach on the fungus/mold on the floor and then letting it sit, add cross-ventilation and then maybe replace bad posts. He said it would be essential to me to wear a mold-protective-grade mask if I am working down in the crawlspace.

What do you think? I need some expert opinions please! My gut instinct tells me to get away fast however I want to see what some of you think...

Thanks much!
Mark
p.s. Although I liked the Home inspector I felt it was a sign to me of something that he wouldnt go in the crawlspace. Shows me he is being careful and what does that tell me? As well I cannot be assured the wood has not begun to rot without having the posts/joists etc poked and prodded to see if any damage is done...

Originally Posted By: bsumpter

I. The inspector shall inspect:

A. The basement.
B. The foundation
C. The crawlspace.
D. The visible structural components.
E. Any present conditions or indications of active water penetration by probing a representative sampling of structural components where deterioration is believed to be present or where clear indications of deterioration are present.
F. And report any general indications of foundation movement that are observed, such as but not limited to sheetrock cracks, brick cracks, out-of-square door frames or floor slopes.

II. The inspector is not required to:

A. Enter any crawlspaces that are not readily accessible or where entry could cause damage or pose a hazard to the inspector in his or her opinion. B. Move stored items or debris.
C. Operate sump pumps with inaccessible floats.
D. Identify size, spacing, span, location or adequacy of foundation bolting, bracing, joists or support systems.
E. Provide any engineering or architectural service.
F. Report on the adequacy of any structural system or component.

--
"In the fields of observation, chance favors only the mind that is prepared"

Louis Pasteur

Ok, that clarifies more reasons why he decided not to enter the crawlspace. Thanks, anyone else have responses to my other questions/concerns?

- Mark

Originally Posted By: lewens

Mark

You mentioned that the crawl space was accessed by a board. Please describe the dimensions of the opening as, if it not to a minimum size you are not required to enter.

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

Mark,

If the home has a fungus/mold infestation it can cost a fortune for proper remediation. If you are still interested in purchasing this home I would strongly recommend that you have a Certified Industrial Hygienist take some samples of the fungus/mold (to analyze) and make recommendations on the need for remediation. Then, get bids from mold remediation companies (at least 2-3) before closing on the home.

Regards,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Larry,

The opening is approx. 3 feet by 2 to 2.5 feet…

Thanks

Russell,

Hey thanks for responding… that is my biggest concern. I have thought about that, requesting for an expert, a Certified Industrial Hygienist for that matter, take a look. Considering the potential health hazard, not to mention also lots of money potentially to remediate, it would be best to know what is truly going on.

Thanks,
Mark

Originally Posted By: lewens

With a hole that big I would have donned the Tyvek and gone in to have a real good look. But that is just me. Believe me I hate crawl spaces.

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Originally Posted By: aleleika

Mark,

Is this the same house that you posted about last month?

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=13541&highlight=

from the previous post, you had put an offer on that one. Did that deal fall thru?

Just curious

--
A. Dan Leleika
www.a-teamhomeinspections.com

Albert,

Actually no this is a different house. That other house deal fell through.

THanks,
Mark

Thanks all for the comments… much appreciated… I have gone with my gut and decided to terminate the deal. Once again, glad I found this site as a resource and place to share ideas! icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

Mark,

Glad to be of service. Remember to tell your friends, family and co-workers about the helpful inspectors at NACHI!! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com