Creosote Buildup

This is creosote build up in the flew of a fireplace. This can ignite and cause a small explosion that will blow the fire out of the fire box and into the room. If you see this in your fireplace have a licensed Chimney Sweep come evaluate and clean your Chimney.

Welcome Larry ~ good luck!

Just slightly overdue to be cleaned! :neutral:

Jeff what’s up with the avatar?
As my Latin friend would say, I do no udder-stend.

Throwback to the Thornberry days.

Lets just say it’s beginning to get a bit ‘stinky’ around here lately. I sense something in the air, and I don’t like it! (Best I can explain at this time).

Larry’s been a member for 10 years and just learned about SEO. :slight_smile:

YA - nuff said - thanks.
Speaking about stinky, it’s been a few months…
WAFIPLONKER2 (aka Pepe LePew) should make an appearance anytime now. :roll:
I am proud to be in the “reported post” club…

OMG guess what - SHE’S BACK!
Perhaps you can answer the dopey question.

Larry FYI - In relation to a chimney, it’s “flue” not “flew”. :wink:

And in relation to “other things” above, it’s “Phew”! :mrgreen:

That’s an understatement to say the least. :wink:

For ALL wood burning fireplaces/stoves:

Recommend cleaning and a level 2 inspection be
performed by a Certified Chimney Sweep. Visit to
find a Certified Chimney Sweep in your area. Go to for
an explanation about the different levels of chimney inspections.

Nice link. Thanks.

That’s not creosote that’s dust. This is creosote. :wink:
Ramm Home Inspections.JPG

holy crap!

No s-h-i-t! :shock:

Extra hot fire once a day. Let her cook. Can help keep things clean. Provided of course that the system can handle it.

Perhaps AFTER it is initially cleaned so as to maintain, but I would NEVER encourage anything that could lead to a chimney fire! If you want to do that in your own home, well, Virginia is overpopulated with inspectors anyway! :twisted:

Extra hot fire/let her cook? I don’t think that’s wise.

“Typically the chimney flue temperatures should
be over 400 degF. Too cool means rapid creosote formation.
Too hot also increases the risk of a
chimney fire by threatening to ignite creosote deposits

or by exceeding the temperature ratings of the chimney.”

Easy now. I should have clarified that. Yes…starting with a clean chimney. :roll: