Cross bracings not installed?

I crawled this 1964 house this morning. It appears that the cross bracings were never finished. I’ve seen a few in past homes that have fallen down but this is a new one for me.

Yep, A step in the building process forgotten. :smiley:

1 Like

Scott has it. Builder failed to return to finish up after the floor finishes were installed.

1 Like

More like IGNORED!
How many contractors do you know that enjoy crawling into low clearance crawlspaces (full length) to complete this task? Not very many!!

2 Likes

If they were clever, they would have nailed them before they nailed down the sheathing. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I was taught to nail it after subfloor was installed when my father and I were building homes. It was just the way he did it and I never asked why. I would ask him now if he were around.

This may be the reason why these weren’t done. No one came back to do it.

Any ideas why a builder would wait?

4 Likes

No clue here. Just though it was funny and wanted to share. :wink:

Not the 1st or the last I suppose
https://forum.nachi.org/t/incomplete-bridging/195235?u=bcawhern1

1 Like

Here’s another:

1 Like

Exactly as I was taught also. Standard procedure.

2 Likes

What, When you were playing with your lincoln Log playset? :grinning:

1 Like

I got your log hangin’!!

Dick (3)

2 Likes

as floor joist would not be completely straight till after the subfloor was nailed on, is the reason they wait to do it afterwards. its easier to move the joist a bit then to cut the subfloor and have gaps in the flooring.
kinda weird that sense 1964 noone has ever had it fixed. unless this is the first sale and inspection sense it was built,

1 Like

I was taught the same, Brian. As I understood it, it loaded the floor joists and made a better/straighter floor.

1 Like

Makes perfect sense. Those joists are all over the place, up, down, wavy etc. until loaded.

1 Like

I think the correct term is wood floor joist bridging. Bridging prevents rotation. Required on planked subflooring.
Oversized bridging.
Bridges not properly secured to floor joists.
Exposed protruding bridge fasteners. Safety hazard.
Wood Column not properly secured at the top or bottom.
Column on an angle.
No crawlspace vapour barrier.
Refer to a general contractor with inhouse structural engineer for evaluation and correction.

I say: Please leave the awards committee out of your feud, Robert.

robert young (ryoung7) says;

Try this. Please ask the awards committee member to stop violating ethics. I would. Makes the organization look very bad.

I say back:

You are unable to understand…back on ignore you go, Robert…the second time I put someone on ignore and they are BOTH YOU, in 17 years!

Last time it was 2 months. This time it is 6 months…forever is coming up, Robert.

2 Likes

My house is a ‘66 ranch. Exact same issue. I just went under there one day and completed nailing them all. Interesting that it is so common

1 Like

If you moved the furniture to the perimeter walls, before nailing the bridging off, there would be less sag in the floor.

Depends on the season. Expansion and contraction