Cross Bridges not fastened ...

This is my first post to the forum and I’d like to ask for some guidance. Would you write this up as “incomplete” on your report? Some say the cross bridging isn’t necessary, but if it’s present, shouldn’t it be done correctly? This is the first time I’ve seen this where all of the cross bridging was not finished. It looks pretty sloppy, but I haven’t seen any sign of issues above floor level. Thanks in advance, this forum has been a great source of information for a newbie!

crossbridge5b.jpg

crossbridge9b.jpg

hi Ron,

I would simply recommend that the bottom ends of the bridging
should be secured to the joists.

Carla

Believe it or not Ron, I find this almost as often as I find them attached properly! The bracing isn’t suppose to be finished nailed until after the weight has been put onto the floor system, sooooo…its forgot about.
I alway recommend proper attachment since it will allways make your floor system stronger with,than without.

Thanks for the quick responses … I knew I could count on you. That’s the way I’ll write it up and possibly refer it to a professional for review. Thanks again.

Hi. Ron;

This type of bridging has been around for many years and today’s technology has shown us so more elaborate systems to do what this old fashion bridging did.
Yes it should be anchored at the bottom of the joist and should be recommended as such in your report.

John is correct, that when these were installed, the bottom part was never nailed in until the partial loads of the above were implied. They did indeed forget to finish the job.

Just so you understand, this type of bridging is installed just prior to the floor underlayment from above. Once the underlayment is installed, the bridging below is later attached. This type of bridging allowed 16 foot spans for joist to be more rigid and eliminate bounce in the floor because it would make a diaphragm composite and actually be stronger than without the bridging.

Marcel

2003 IRC R502.7.1 = Briding not required for less than 2 x 12.

But, if it’s there, it should be secured, not left hanging.

Let us not forget that the Standard of Practice for 16’ spans of floor framing regardless of it’s depth is always a plus to provide lateral stability to floor joist and provides a diaphragm that eliminates floor bounce and sag in the latter years to come.
And least should we forget that the IRC is the minimum standard allowed.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
</IMG></IMG>

Hi to all,

I had the same gig last year with a 1937 hotel in St Petersberg, non of the bridging had ever been fastened all 1500 square feet of it, but then again the crawl disappeared to nothing I don’t see how it could have been done.

Regards

Gerry

IMG.jpg

Hey Gerry,

'splain the drain…

Gerry;

Like usual, the electricians and plumbers always are ahead of themselves and the carpenters are holding the bag with their work undone.

Marcel :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:
</IMG></IMG>

Boss; “hay Franky, d’you finish the bridging under the kitchen saturday like i paid you to do?”

Franky; “yeah boss of couse i did, you wanna check?”

Boss; “Nah, i can’t squeeze my fatass in there anyway, i trust you.”:mrgreen: